• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is my lovebird going to lay eggs?

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Nice how much is a DNA test?
Avian biotech does it for $25. My local bird shop does it for $30 if you by the bird from them. If not then its $40. My vet also does it for $40. I believe the vet and the bird shop send their DNA sexing testing to avian biotech. I live in so cal.

Taffy_Hazer

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
@Garet my female seems to have a big butt now is that a sign of egg laying??

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Garet my female seems to have a big butt now is that a sign of egg laying??
You might have eggs soon. Be sure to keep a very good eye on her over the next few days. Birds can wind up being egg-bound, which can be fatal. Here's a bit of info; x.

If she can't pass the egg on her own, you will need to go to an avuan vet asap, no ifs, ands or buts. You should also get an incubator, baby bird formula, the proper syringes and at least one good sized cage, just in case. You'll also need to find a good, experienced breeder to teach you how to feed babies and ditch the one who sold you these two. They might have pretty birds, but this is stuff you should have been taught about prior to being sold birds.

Aviana

Strolling the yard
My lovebird did not have a mate. I tried to discourage playing in boxes until she was post-birdie-menopause. She would still lay eggs about twice a year. It seemed that really horrid poops would precede the eggs. I think she knew they were duds; it seemed like she laid them from her swing, and they would crash to the cage grate.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
What is their diet like? Are you planning to hatch the eggs, and if so are you prepared for possibly having to step in and raise the chicks? Do you have money for vet bills if something goes wrong?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Oof, glad to hear that went well, at least. Be sure to monitor her for the next few days, she may still have more and still can suffer from egg binding with the rest of her clutch.

Taffy_Hazer

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Evalynn Mendez
@Garet
thanks so much she finished laying all of them a total of four eggs she is being a goo mom an the dad is doing a wonderful job as well!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
@Garet
thanks so much she finished laying all of them a total of four eggs she is being a goo mom an the dad is doing a wonderful job as well!
Glad to hear that everything is well! I hope that's the last of her eggs. I think they can have up to six.

Also keep an eye out for cracked eggs. They can make your birds sick via bacterial infection.