• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird Haters?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I think that having a bird can be the most rewarding and frustrating at the same time. Bella for the most part is pretty easy to live with. Most of the time, she is a sweet and quiet bird who loves her scritches. But when she is hormonal, she can scream for hours at a time and rarely, with bite me with no warning. But I know that it is not personal and the good parts vastly outweigh the bad, or at least I keep telling myself that when it is time to scrub her cage (which neither of us likes). I don't think of her necessarily as a pet but as a perpetual 2 year old who just happens to live with me. And I wouldn't trade her for anything. Don't listen to anyone else. Birds get a bad rap from non bird owners. I can't wait to see your baby.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Don't know what all the fuss is about! GCC are SO easy to care for... they are loving, clean, quiet, talented, little people who love everyone and wouldn't hurt a fly!

:scrubfloors2: Well perhaps clean isn't quite true!

:muahaha: Well perhaps not loving all the time!

:atomic:Well perhaps not quiet all the time either!

:angry101:Well they are talented when they want to be!

:slapfight: They don't like flys either!

Is there anything I might have missed? :backout:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

Lesley Yeung

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lesley
I usually give my humble opinion. But I will state this as a fact...don't expect a bird to behave like a dog. And don't be surprised if your "pet"( haha) Bird turns out to have an attitude.

They are totally life partners with the right person and care. For better or worse.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I usually give my humble opinion. But I will state this as a fact...don't expect a bird to behave like a dog. And don't be surprised if your "pet"( haha) Bird turns out to have an attitude.

They are totally life partners with the right person and care. For better or worse.
Right now I have 2 extremely hormonal cage aggressive Quaker girls and it is a "count your fingers" situation. But it will wind down, just don't let them reach any part of your body right now because they will bite, even through clothing. And yet the two Quaker boys aren't - go figure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Right now I have 2 extremely hormonal cage aggressive Quaker girls and it is a "count your fingers" situation. But it will wind down, just don't let them reach any part of your body right now because they will bite, even through clothing. And yet the two Quaker boys aren't - go figure.

My Quaker boys are Jekyll and Hyde right now... some days they are sweet as can be, then next I get attacked because I turned the Keurig on...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Fortunately (for me) Daisy can't fly due to an old injury and Loofa won't leave her side - they might as well be Siamese twins. The boys are both flighted and fine (so far, knock on wood).

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
Yes, parrots can be/are all those things. There is often a expectation that parrots are like feathery dogs that live to serve humans and when they fail to live up to that expectation, people get rather butthurt about it and deem them terrible pets. They are NOT domesticated "pets". They are effectively wild animals even if hand reared by human hands and they behave as such and the term "companion" better describes them than the term "pet". Parrots do not implicitly trust or love or feel any sense of inherent dedication or obligations to serve humans. That is something that must be earned, through time, effort and hard work (and a couple bites along the way). And while birds can be challenging and do all the things those coworkers describe (yes, they are loud, VERY messy, CAN over-bond when not properly socialized and occasionally bite) what they've failed to mention is the reward that comes with putting in the time and effort with a parrot. Nothing, and I mean nothing, compares to the feeling of having EARNED the friendship of an animal who feels no obligation whatsoever to like you. It's a very special bond one forms with their bird and it makes up for all their shortcomings IMO and the opinions of many, many other successful bird owners. Do not let the negative reactions of unmet expectations from failed bird owners dissuade you.

AnnaTheConure

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Anna
I agree with most of the people above in saying that every bird is different. some things depend on the bird and some depend on how you treat it :)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I find that when people are expounding with their great knowledge of birds, it usually turns out that this is not their actual experience but something they heard from a friend - who owned a much bigger bird than mine.

I just say, “oh mine are much smaller than that,” and move on.

LouD and mess are relative things. It’s going to boil down to what you can tolerate... hopefully you’ve done some research. Territorial, I ccan’t speak to that in your species but I do have a couple birds that are territorial of me... only with ernie is it a big deal. He is extremely possessive and jealous but he is a rescue and an older bird. The other one mostly tries to feed me but is ok moving on to hubby if requested.

Good luck with your new bird!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have loved birds all my life. They have enriched my life more that I can say. It wasn't always easy but it was always worth it.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
People believe the most independent and aloof as well as the most fascinating pet of all is the cat. Not true. Parrots are the most independent aloof and fascinating pet. One has to win the respect, trust and love of a parrot despite being dependent on the human for feeding and care. They only do what they want to do and what instinct says they should do. What we want is less than dust in the wind.... Until one connects with a human and then the magic begins.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I find that when people are expounding with their great knowledge of birds, it usually turns out that this is not their actual experience but something they heard from a friend - who owned a much bigger bird than mine.

I just say, “oh mine are much smaller than that,” and move on.

LouD and mess are relative things. It’s going to boil down to what you can tolerate... hopefully you’ve done some research. Territorial, I ccan’t speak to that in your species but I do have a couple birds that are territorial of me... only with ernie is it a big deal. He is extremely possessive and jealous but he is a rescue and an older bird. The other one mostly tries to feed me but is ok moving on to hubby if requested.

Good luck with your new bird!
I’m so amused by my friends who keep telling me how messy birds are. After dealing with a litterbox big enough to accommodate an arthritic cat, I am absolutely looking forward to the comparatively tiny poops & easy cleanup! Not to mention wearing black clothes that won’t be covered in fur.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’m so amused by my friends who keep telling me how messy birds are. After dealing with a litterbox big enough to accommodate an arthritic cat, I am absolutely looking forward to the comparatively tiny poops & easy cleanup! Not to mention wearing black clothes that won’t be covered in fur.

My whole house gets covered in bird poop, wood chips, and seed hulls lol. My shirts get chewed and pooped on!

Now I do prefer it to the hairballs and vomit all over my house (dealing with a senior cat with allergies) and nervous peeing from the cats, I'll give you that! :lol:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have had only 2 birds in my entire life (27 years old), and they were a budgie and a dove. I now am the first-time companion of, what some people would call, a 'real-bird' (silly), and it is a TON of work, but I was mentally prepared for this commitment prior to adopting my guy who already had several disadvantages: missing a leg, former breeder bird who lived his entire life in an aviary, and he is NOT tamed in the slightest. That being said, in the 3 months that I've had him, he has come out of his shell so much: playing with toys, sharing food with me, regurgitating, chattering nonstop, bathing himself, and allowing me to handle him despite being in a home with four other people who he merely tolerates. Since I've had him, I have not considered him a pet, but a companion, and I give him his space when he doesn't want to be bothered. Prior to adopting him, I didn't really see the 'hype' with keeping birds, but now that I am sharing my life with one, it's completely worth every second! I believe to earn the trust of a bird is more rewarding than that of a dog or cat, even though I have always had both. Something about looking into those avian eyes and seeing a creature who enjoys your company, makes the splattered food on the wall, poop on the floor, shredded perches, and random meltdowns worth it tenfold! :D

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I have an companion bird, 2 cats and an American Staffordshire terrier I wouldn't trade any of them for the world. I don't see good or bad with my pets, I see a journey that twists, turns, goes up and down.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 oh my goodness! A challenged Vasa. Poor thing. Thank you for taking him in, and for respecting him as a companion. :heart:
:heart: thank you for your kind words. I'll admit, it has been a challenge to modify his cage since his grip isn't good and he has fallen a few times. It also doesn't help that he came to me severely calcium deficient and underweight. He was 359grams, and I weighed him today, he is at 429 grams, and my avian vet wants him in the low 500s, so we have a ways to go, but he has an appetite like a dinosaur. He eats about 4tbs of food a day (vegetables, grains, pellets), and he still wants whatever I'm eating. I've had to raise the bottom of his cage and line it with a pillow resting on cardboard boxes so if he does fall again, he won't go far. Zip ties and cooling racks beneath his favorite perch have saved him from a 5ft dropped.
MMS_691.jpg MMS_770.jpg 20180402_164907.jpg