• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Husband is pushing me to rehome our piggies

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Since my youngest daughter came down sick last year things have been difficult with my zoo. They can’t be in the house anymore and I have fought tooth and nail to keep all our babies. They have had a make shift bird room in the garage for close to a year and now we have built one on the patio for them. The problem is space and of course my husband pushing me to downsize. I really would rather not but they may not fit in the space I now have to put all my critters avian and rodent. If I can find them loving homes I guess I should do it. Anyone near me have room for any piggies? They would need their cages redone but I do have cubes to provide.

I guess I’m rambling more than anything and testing putting this out there. We have five. Two sows, two boars and a lone boar that is too dominant for a roommate.

I’m
Losing five feet in both directions with the new birdroom. I’m
Already concerned howmim
Going to for all birds in there. It’s a bittersweet accomplishment to get a new bird room. That’s Michigan by the lakeshore by the way if anyone actually considers it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
what area of the state are you in? I'm so sorry you are looking at this possibility!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Do you have any garden space? Perhaps you could build the piggies an outside enclosure. But I know there are a lot of predators in America who might make that impossible. I am so sorry you are going through this!:sadhug2::sadhug2: You are doing what will be best for them, the sign of a great mom:heart:

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I’m in Holland, which is on the lakeshore of Lake Michigan not too far from GR or Muskegon. Thanks for the support. I will have a better idea of what space constraints I will have once I start moving the birds in the room but I don’t see them fitting. I have tried to get him to allow them back in the house but he is right it really is too risky with Bri’s lung disease.

As far as building them something, we just built the bird room two weeks ago.
I will not let them go just anywhere but it would probably be best if I found someone to take them. Two were purchased from a breeder as youngsters and the other three were previously owned by someone else and no longer wanted :( so we took them in.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Since my youngest daughter came down sick last year things have been difficult with my zoo. They can’t be in the house anymore and I have fought tooth and nail to keep all our babies. They have had a make shift bird room in the garage for close to a year and now we have built one on the patio for them. The problem is space and of course my husband pushing me to downsize. I really would rather not but they may not fit in the space I now have to put all my critters avian and rodent. If I can find them loving homes I guess I should do it. Anyone near me have room for any piggies? They would need their cages redone but I do have cubes to provide.

I guess I’m rambling more than anything and testing putting this out there. We have five. Two sows, two boars and a lone boar that is too dominant for a roommate.

I’m
Losing five feet in both directions with the new birdroom. I’m
Already concerned howmim
Going to for all birds in there. It’s a bittersweet accomplishment to get a new bird room. That’s Michigan by the lakeshore by the way if anyone actually considers it.
@cassiesdad But how many piggies are you talking about?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg:...they's real PIGS!!!! Milton get out the big fork & knife!!!

Hmmm I assumed guinea pigs!

:rofl:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh yes, I know of Holland! I'm about 2 hours north in Cadillac.

I don't think hubby would let me take any more species right now, sadly :( My house is already set up in zones to keep everyone safe and not sure I could give your cavies the attention they deserve :(

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have five total. Mentioned in my post I believe. Two sows, two boars and and a single boar.
@cassiesdad My apologies to all - when the word piggies was mentioned I "assumed" you meant Guinea pigs ...

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I know where Holland MI is, I'm a couple hours away. I wish I had the space and time and money to give them a good life, but I know I can't. I hope your piggies find a good home.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Hoping you can find great home(s) for your piggies...sad that you have to rehome them...

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@cassiesdad My apologies to all - when the word piggies was mentioned I "assumed" you meant Guinea pigs ...
:sandra:Brain fart! ;) I'm laying claim to that being my disability :yoda: to allow me to say/write all types of things …. :backout:

Then they really are Guinea piggies?

Last edited:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Then they really are Guinea piggies?
:hehe: Yes, cavy/ Guinea pigs
I'm assuming that from the post that they are guineas. :)

I can understand the "dominant" boar...I have two boars that think they're the dominant boar...they just don't get along with each other...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
If I can find them loving homes I guess I should do it. Anyone near me have room for any piggies? They would need their cages redone but I do have cubes to provide.
I am NOT going to tell my wife about this thread...if I do, I have a feeling I'd have to plan a road trip to Michigan...;)