• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Who doesn't love a Taco?!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I said I would do it, and I've done it!

Taco, the beautiful and horrendously neglected B&G, is home and safe!

It look a lot of saving and a lot of needling friends to borrow their trucks, but it was so worth it. The pictures on Kijiji were enough to make me sick -- seeing him in the flesh, in his rusted and filth-encrusted cage, nibbling from a bowl of wild bird seed and lunging fearfully at his former owners was enough to make my blood boil. He had a single perch and one toy, which was about the right size for a cockatiel.

His feathers are crap, his breathing is loud, and he looks like he was run over a few times, but now he's free to roam and explore and gorge himself on fresh fruit and vegetables to his heart's desire.

I love him with all my heart.

20180519_165847.jpg 20180519_164058(0).jpg

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Barely six hours in his new home, and Taco is already flourishing.

At his old home he was never handled (he was being sold as a "project bird" or breeder as he was described as 'untamed'), to the point where, during the transfer from his cage to the carrier I brought, his old mom was terrified to go anywhere near him, and his old dad put on two pairs of work gloves, grabbed him by the torso, and wrestled him screaming and thrashing into the carrier because he wouldn't step up.

The threat of having them change their minds about me taking him made me bite my tongue, but I swear I almost bit through it.

Understandably Taco is still very much against being asked to step up (and who wouldn't be), but with patience and a lot of praise, I convinced him to start taking treats from my fingers (and my what a gentle boy), and quickly had him dancing and chatting with me.

Getting him to go to bed was a struggle, a problem that I had previously experienced with Rafi (both of them having spent 6+ solid years in a cage and obviously not wanting to go back in any time soon), but I convinced him to clamber back in with some sweet grapes, and in the morning he'll discover that in this home, nobody lives their life in a cage.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Understandably Taco is still very much against being asked to step up (and who wouldn't be), but with patience and a lot of praise, I convinced him to start taking treats from my fingers (and my what a gentle boy), and quickly had him dancing and chatting with me.

Getting him to go to bed was a struggle, a problem that I had previously experienced with Rafi (both of them having spent 6+ solid years in a cage and obviously not wanting to go back in any time soon), but I convinced him to clamber back in with some sweet grapes, and in the morning he'll discover that in this home, nobody lives their life in a cage.

Thank you, again! Already dancing :heart2: I wonder when was the last time he danced. :) Welcome to your new life, Taco.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to the avenue and a much better life Taco.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
WoW, he does look like be was in Terrible need of you:( Thank you so much for taking him!:hug8: He already looks sooo much happier:heart:
Welcome to the avenue Taco! Can’t Wait to hear about all the adventures you Will have in your new home:heart:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
My husband keeps shaking his head whenever I look back at these photos. He can't believe people exist that can treat an animal lie that. I said "Look what a difference: before and... a couple of hours later." He says Taco's so different already in his expression, and his posture and demeanor. You have done an awesome thing today @hrafn.

I'm continually amazed at how resilient birds can be. :smileflower:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2: It is very sad how many of them lives years & decades in dark small dirty prisons!!!

I don;t know if they experience time like we do but it is so horrible to think of them treated like this!!!

So sad!!!!! Luckily for Taco he has a new happy life to look forward too.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
So glad you were able to rescue him! We only have rescued birds and we love it when we see someone rescuing a bird in dire need of a new loving home. Reminds me of our Tiki. Good luck with him! I know he must be delight to get out of those deplorable conditions.
THANK YOU AGAIN FOR SAVING HIM!!!!!