• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My new aviary. My neighbors. SO STRESSED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Every time she complains, tell her you are so glad to talk about things and tell her about her dog barking...bring up that darn dog every time she says anything...sweetly and thank her for the conversation.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That could backfire if she gets rid of the dog though......

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Every time she complains, tell her you are so glad to talk about things and tell her about her dog barking...bring up that darn dog every time she says anything...sweetly and thank her for the conversation.
Inquire after the health of the dog because it barks so much ….

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The other thing this recording will do too, is record any parrot calls in the background. It might be a double-edged sword or not but it will show a comparison of continuous dog yapping vs. intermittent parrot calls.
Oh that is good. A comparison should prove your point. I'd make sure the dog's barking is picked up clearly & not background noise.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
surveillance Camera They start at $45 and go up to $480. They are movement activated too.

Any sound activated ones? I'm being cheeky, but that would be cool if they did!

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
Any sound activated ones? I'm being cheeky, but that would be cool if they did!

I did have a look at the specifications and no, none are sound activated. But there are some that will connect or email to a smart phone the moment the camera is activated.

A surveillance camera $480
The look on neighbours face when they get a video by email of them behaving badly..... . Priceless

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I wish I could get something like that, but unfortunately it's not in the budget atm. I'll have to come up with something though.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I hate to sound cheap but I agree that it's a little steep for something that isn't even your fault. I went fishing on Amazon and found a slew of recorders, some in a much more accessible price range. Amazon.com: Yemenren Direct

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=sound+activated+recording+device&rh=i:aps,k:sound+activated+recording+device&qid=1526737739&sort=price-asc-rank

It's not being cheap if you can only afford what your budget allows.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
A property owner is entitled to install video cameras on their property. As long as the cameras are recording their property or areas that are open to public view, recording is allowed. Many people assume that their backyard is private. That may be true in some cases, but if anyone else can see into your backyard, for example a neighbor from the second floor or a neighbor on a lot with a higher elevation, you may not have a legitimate expectation to privacy.
Planting trees may be a solution that is available, but some cities have rules that limit that type of fence/screening including the acceptable height. There may also be view ordinances that apply. You may want to check with your city.

Before you start recording any conversations you might want to read this.

https://www.stimmel-law.com/en/articles/secret-recording-conversations-california-crime

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
But what you've linked appears to me (layperson that I am) to refer more to taping a conversation with someone else. As in my surreptitiously recording a conversation between the two of us without your knowledge or consent. The recording we are talking about is of outdoor noise which is not meant to include any personal communication between people.

Isn't there a difference? A quite large one? And, in the event that you do need to have a "beep" to warn that there is a recording taking place in an open space like a backyard, who is supposed to take notice? Don't mean to be sarcastic, but I doubt that the yappy dog is going to make note and complain.

Maybe the best bet, before buying any recording device, would be to talk to the local police or village and find out exactly what the restrictions are on recording noise in a backyard. Unless one has a really high powered recorder, I don't see one taping what is said inside a house with a cheaper sound recorder. Just my :2cents:.

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
I believe that recording a yap yap dog would be OK as the dog isn't human and can't give consent. But to record what is said in a human conversation, that needs all parties to give consent.

Video's can be taken on one's property providing it only of that property and not the neighbours property.

Has they say "a picture is worth a thousand words but video is priceless.

A friend of mine had problems with his neighbours and he position cameras to view his fence lines and his property only.

It recorded dog poo being thrown into his yard from the direction of his side neighbour's yard.

The police were called and the dog poo was returned with an conversation that enlighten the neighbour.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What is the ordinance & code with animals & noise? As long as you are within it who cares what she thinks!!!!

Your birds vocalize during normal hours...they are not vocal after 10PM or before 8AM.

I don;t think she can say anything as they are domesticated pets & not farm animals like roosters.

We all have to put up with neighbors dogs & kids...what makes her so special!!!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
What is the ordinance & code with animals & noise? As long as you are within it who cares what she thinks!!!!

Your birds vocalize during normal hours...they are not vocal after 10PM or before 8AM.

I don;t think she can say anything as they are domesticated pets & not farm animals like roosters.

We all have to put up with neighbors dogs & kids...what makes her so special!!!!
She's a self righteous old bat and she'll pull her "affliction" card though as you've said, every town/village/city has noise ordinances. On top of that Dexter & company are only outside when @Nikomania is home vs. the neighbour's yappy dg being left outside when they're not. Maybe the yapster has accidents if left inside alone? Not that it helps anyone.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Since they've been out of town, Dexter's had a wonderful time using the aviary! I have to admit that the first 15 minutes or so he is on the noisy side as he 'checks in' with my other macaw, Shaylor. Then, he gets himself busy!
He usually makes the most noise once he reaches the highest point within the aviary. Not sure why, but it's like he says, 'Look at me! I'm on top of the world!'

I made a few videos on my phone capturing the 'yapsters' doing their barking at 11:30 p.m. Also tagged it to the actual time showing on my clock. It'll be my rebuttal if they dare come at us again with their complaints.

The downside to this entire ordeal is that now I'm left feeling paranoid that he's disturbing someone. As I mentioned before, Dexter is loud, and squawks at high decibels. I'd rate him up there with the umbrellas. I get it that it can be bothersome, but I'm trying to monitor the sound and keep it to what I deem 'reasonable'.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I made a few videos on my phone capturing the 'yapsters' doing their barking at 11:30 p.m. Also tagged it the actual time showing on my clock. It'll be my rebuttal if they dare come at us again with their complaints.
:ygg:Good for you! Great idea.

I say just let the other neighbors know it's over in about 15 minutes and that it just means your bird is happy! I'd smile if I knew my neighbor's bird was just saying how happy he is instead of thinking of it as noise. And I still like @aooratrix's idea of giving the kids feathers. :tup:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Just be careful to check the avary for any foreign objects or items as this neurotic & some people are overly sensitive & obnoxious could throw some poison or dangerous item the birds could ingest.

I had to live next to a chain smoking chain beer popping old hag for over 10 years. She knew everything & was used to pushing around elderly people in the old folks home where she worked!

She called once as I was beating my eggs too loud!!!!!

She was nasty & I thought even disease would not want to live with her but she got emphysema & it finally took away my nightmares of a hall that smelled like an old bar!

Another tenant complained the street light on the corner a good 200 feet away made too much noise so she could not sleep!!!!

Sure its stressing her as much as you & I am like you & would not want my birds to intrude on another peace of mind but truth is there is no place on earth where you can go & have perfect silence well except maybe the grave...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.