• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Too much water, fast eater

EchoMama

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sally Adams
I’m new here. Brief background on my boy. He’s 9 yrs old. I’m his third home :( I started out birdsitting this boy and a few months ago he ended up staying with me for his forever home. I have parrot experience but not Ekkie exp. I’ve noticed the past few days he’s been drinking tons of water and what I originally thought was him trying to bathe in his water dish was what I think now regurging into it. He eats very fast too! I’ve hidden most of his diet this morning all around his enclosure and he’s running around trying to get all the food. He is pellet free too btw. I am concerned about him and making an appointment for some blood work but my big question is...is this something I need to see an emergency vet for or can it wait out the weekend?

Erikalynnha

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I am not familiar with eclectus however I would make him an emergency visit to be on the safe side. If he is regurgitating or throwing up water I don't think that is normal, he could easily aspirate.

What does his diet consist of?

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I would make emergency appointment. Very strange behavior.

Im no expert as only one eckie but I feel he may have crop blockage potentially. Eating frantically cos hes starving due to blockage. Drinking trying to get it down and due to large amount of water and blockage hes bringing it all up. If not a blockage i feel something else is going on but hes definitely sounds hungry and unable to absorb anything due to regurgitating it.

I would get him checked out as they can deteriorate very quickly. Signs of puffy feathers drooping wibgs and bobbing tail indicate difficulty in breathing. Check respiration rate and depth. If aspirated these will be altered. Again im ni expert but this is what id be thinking/looking for.

Good luck. Please kerp us posted