• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Teaching A Goffins How To Read.........

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I got Freddy a children's picture book appropriate for a toddler "Firefly Joe". I got it figuring he would recognize "Joe", since he loves my fiancee Joe. I was right! He sat and looked at the pictures as I was reading, pointing to the firefly "there's Joe", I told him and I noticed he turned his head when I said that lol. I went to the dollar store and got 3 more children's board books with simple phrases, sight words, with pictures. He seemed to enjoy it and now I wonder if it will help him learning to talk, I will drop on the floor if someday I turn a page and he says "Joe" or "fly". Lol We'll see every night when he goes to his cage he will get a story and his treat lol. Joe won't read to him. BAD DAD! LOL

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I got Freddy a children's picture book appropriate for a toddler "Firefly Joe". I got it figuring he would recognize "Joe", since he loves my fiancee Joe. I was right! He sat and looked at the pictures as I was reading, pointing to the firefly "there's Joe", I told him and I noticed he turned his head when I said that lol. I went to the dollar store and got 3 more children's board books with simple phrases, sight words, with pictures. He seemed to enjoy it and now I wonder if it will help him learning to talk, I will drop on the floor if someday I turn a page and he says "Joe" or "fly". Lol We'll see every night when he goes to his cage he will get a story and his treat lol. Joe won't read to him. BAD DAD! LOL
That's wonderful! I can't wait. :xflove:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
That's wonderful! I can't wait. :xflove:
Tonight we read Froggy Jumps Around. It teaches up, down and around. He sits on his perch inside his cage and I bring a chair over so he's right even with my shoulder. And when I eat lunch or watch tv with him that's where he's comfortable. I have tried to get him to sit somewhere else but he's most comfortable that way unless he sits on me but he can pay better attention there for some reason. Anyway, he loved the froggy book, I read it 3 times and he sat right through it and seemed to enjoy the pictures. He bobbed his head and did his screeches too so I know he loves the attention. Really interested to see what reading to him does and if it makes a difference. :cantsee:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
What I think I might do is show him 2 books that he already has seen, and ask which story. If he touches a book I will read the one he touches. Just out of curiosity I want to see what he does with a choice. If he keeps picking the same book, I can know he may be getting something out of it! Hmmmm....ladyjane, you are making me think!:fairy:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will be neat when he starts requesting books. Try a few Thomas the Tank Train books and also a few of the videos.
The Eric Carle books are good choices, IMO. For example, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", "Brown Bear, Brown Bear", "The Grouchy Lady Bug", etc.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Ok this is wierd and I am going to sound crazy. I wanted to give Freddy a choice of books to see what he does. Tonight I showed him 1 book he has read with me, and 1 new one. He looked at the 2 books, his eyes shifting between me and the books, as I asked what story. He picked a pink flamingo book that was new. We read that. Then I showed him another new book, and the frog book he likes. He picked the other new book. When he picks the book, he reaches and touches the edge gently and looks at me. Then let's it go. We read another new book. Next he picked his frog book, after we read that, he went to chew a paper roll lol. 3 tonight. It could be coincidence but I don't know. He's usually afraid of new things but not these books. Hmmm.....

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Ok this is wierd and I am going to sound crazy. I wanted to give Freddy a choice of books to see what he does. Tonight I showed him 1 book he has read with me, and 1 new one. He looked at the 2 books, his eyes shifting between me and the books, as I asked what story. He picked a pink flamingo book that was new. We read that. Then I showed him another new book, and the frog book he likes. He picked the other new book. When he picks the book, he reaches and touches the edge gently and looks at me. Then let's it go. We read another new book. Next he picked his frog book, after we read that, he went to chew a paper roll lol. 3 tonight. It could be coincidence but I don't know. He's usually afraid of new things but not these books. Hmmm.....
That is so exciting! And he's in his cage while you read? I'd think Luv Bug might try to chew it otherwise.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He is in his cage, but I put the books inside the cage and hold them for him to choose. He had no interest in chewing them. He touched the edge gently and let go, then looked at me. Eye contact. It was wierd. He likes to listen and looks at the pictures as I point out things in the picture. The racoon was eating nuts, and cookies. So I told Freddy he is eating your nuts and oatmeal cookie! Wouldn't you know he reached into the dish to eat a piece of his oatmeal cookie (I make birdie cookies). So wierd. I don't know how much he understands. Or how much is coincidence. It depends if I keep getting the same responses.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I like that he had nuts and cookies like the book! I bet it helps him form an association with the events in the book. Maybe he's more involved?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@Nancy B this is all quite interesting. Now you will have to both write and publish books for parrots.

Wonder what a budgie response would be, if any?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Nancy B this is all quite interesting. Now you will have to both write and publish books for parrots.

Wonder what a budgie response would be, if any?
Hahahahaha! @cassiesdad ? I have been able to find absolutely no kids books featuring parrots or birds. I did find 1 flamingo book about a baby flamingo adventuring away from the nest. That's perfect for Freddy! He's interested in anything I have it seems.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I like that he had nuts and cookies like the book! I bet it helps him form an association with the events in the book. Maybe he's more involved?
I have been trying to find things in the books he might recognize. I did a lot of that when my son was little too. His feathers smoothed out when I said HE'S EATING YOUR NUTS AND COOKIES! THOSE ARE FOR FREDDY BIRD lol his face changed.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's not so much the books my dear. It's the mental connection/communication you are establishing with Freddy. You are "feeding his spirit" and that is what this whole journey is about. Doesn't hurt that your spirit gets a little nurturing along the way. You're doing such a great job. :hug8:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
It's not so much the books my dear. It's the mental connection/communication you are establishing with Freddy. You are "feeding his spirit" and that is what this whole journey is about. Doesn't hurt that your spirit gets a little nurturing along the way. You're doing such a great job. :hug8:
What a kind thing to say! Thank you! I'm trying everything I can think of to enrich his world. The book idea just added to it, was really wondering if early children's books can somehow help him learn words. The flamingo story talks about adventuring from the nest. LOL I would love for Freddy to adventure from that cage more often! :)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy