• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

She just stopped

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
My roommate has an African gray named Sangria. He recently adopted another African Gray named Smokey. They stay in the bird room together, but are not in the same cage. Sangria used to talk, and talk very well, sounding just like my roommate. She also mimicked several other sounds...sirens, alarms, cell phone noises, dogs barking, etc. Since he got smokey, Sangria barely makes a peep. Smokey talks, but we can't make out what he says, except when he dropped the "s" bomb and then started laughing, (which I had to laugh too) and he does a human cough....a lot!(hence his name, Smokey).
Any ideas as to why Sangria stopped talking? She makes a few noises still, but nothing like before. I think she may be picking up Smokey's human cough noise, and she mumbles a bit like him.....is Smokey the reason she's gotten quiet?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
How long has Smokey been with your roommate, did he have a vet check-up before sharing a room with Sangria . It could be that Sangria's routine has changed with the new birds arrival. when was the last time sangria was at the vets for a wellness check. Their could be many reasons . Those are the two main reasons that stand -out for me . Change in environment and possibly not feeling well. Birds are sensitive to their routine changing.

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Both birds were vet checked, but the routine has been a bit different. Just before he got Smokey, I had been working with her to come out of her cage during the day. Now, she loves sitting on her door, and climbing on the cage. She sneaks up to the perch on top to eat, but prefers staying on the door.
I think she really wants to fly, but the room is a bit small for a large bird.
Before I started working with her, she didn't leave her cage in 4 years. She used to sit on my roommates shoulder and go all over with him, but then my roommates wife passed away suddenly and he stopped taking her out.
I started working with her and I tried to get her to step up, and she bit me. My roommate is partially blind, and he's timid to work with her too.
Anyway, there have been quite a few changes, most for the best. She's happy, healthy, and very smart.
I think she knows she's in charge.