• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long did you wait ..

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
How long did you wait from the time you got your parrot till you brought home another one ?

Today at dinner .we as a family were discussing when we may bring home another bird.
For us we don't want to untill Charlie has bonded and trusted us, and of course untill we feel prepared .
My fiance is starting on the bird room this weekend .So we were curious when other people brought more fids into there life;
Later down the road I'd love to adopt a cockatiel. I've recently calling for them

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You really should not be adding any new bird for at least two "seasons" (years). The first reason being you have no idea how your bird will behave and react to things at different times of the season until you've experienced an entire one.

Second. If there were "issues" during that first season then you need to use the second season to iron those things out.

Now that you know what you have and what to expect, you might be ready to upset the apple cart because it's always a roll of the dice when adding new birds of any kind.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your bird is not a mature adult (or the one coming in). No matter how things work out now when they mature things can/will change. Maybe good. Maybe not.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually waited about a year, sometimes more. When I got my Goffin's I already had other birds and I got her 2 years after I got my BFA.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At the very very minimum, 6 months. In my experience it takes at least that long for a bird to settle into your home and routine. For babies, I wouldn't want to experience first hormones at the first time (again - I did it once and it was awful) so I would definitely want to stagger that a little more personally. I think now that I have more years with parrots under my belt, I would definitely want to wait at least 1-2 years between. It's so hard to understand fully the impact of one parrot, let alone two or more, in less than that.

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
@Mizzely & @iamwhoiam you guys honestly are the best! Always so helpful .:heart:
And @JLcribber I never really thought about that different seasons can bring on different behaviour/moods! So thankyou for that. Definitely will make me more observed over the months on his behaviour !

And @BirdManDan I actually just watched that recently , I eatch all bird tricks videos!