• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Toys for Inquisitive Conures

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My GCC will be 9 in May and very recently she seems to be bored with all of the regular shredding toys I buy for her. When I let her out in the evenings, she seems more interested in playing with the screws on the latch to her door or trying to chew the windowsill than anything else.

I have a Creative Solutions toy with the sliding pulls that allow treats to fall down, but it's a little too big and intimidating for the time being (we'll keep working on it). Curious what toys your GCCs like, especially ones that incorporate moving parts or doodads. Bonus points if I can buy them through the Sidewalk Sale. :)

And some pics of my little lady just for fun.

unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jingo is like that. He prefers unhooking things or foraging. If there isn't food involved he isn't interested 9/10 times. Here are some reviews we did recently on other toys:

Pictures - Jingo is about to be really happy or mad... | Page 3 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

His favorite is the maze forager on my website, no lie. Followed closely by the Caitec Generation I.

From my own toys, he really likes the Charmed toy, Caffeine Fix, Pill Poppin Polly, and Grapefruit

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Both Rupert (Green Cheek) and Sherbs (Lovebird) have used the wheel forager (listed on that page @Erikalynnha posted). Rupert enjoys Shawna's dino shapes as well. Some of the holes are no longer very functional because he's done some damage to the toy. :lol:

Other things: Rupert likes yanking treats from his cork perches and remodeling the perch. He's ruined the hanging integrity on 2 or 3 BIG cork perches now, which is why one of them is sitting on top of the cage, and another got turned in to a swing (using SS skewers). If you haven't tried a cork perch, I'd highly recommend it. Birds seem to love tearing them up bit by bit.

Rupert also "shreds" 1/4 inch thick pine pieces if they're cut with the grain. (pieces will instead chip if it's cut against the grain)

I recently got the Pick-me Gumball forager from @WallyLoopey 's Hoot 'N Holler. It does take a little finesse to work the mechanism that brings down the treats, but Rupert definitely goes back to this toy every day to see what will be in there.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/588088...y-medium-bird-toy-fun?ref=shop_home_active_16

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
This is one of the most popular toys I sell...
Parrot Toy Bird Toy Medium Bird Toy Fun Parrot Toy Small

It comes loaded with leather, paper rope, sisal, cotton, beads, wood sticks..a lot of different textures. Some can be pulled out, others are tied in permanently.
I use it with my amazon but @EllaMay uses it for her cockatiel so it works for a variety of sizes
5F9BFD20-BC06-42CA-BD8E-CCAA656DACD7.jpeg

I have a Pobird Cafe toy too designed for amazon sized birds but I have one customer who uses it for her parrotlet!
8E1A9825-BD12-4A91-B6C6-220FA6A38797.jpeg

falsk

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
My Jingo is like that. He prefers unhooking things or foraging. If there isn't food involved he isn't interested 9/10 times. Here are some reviews we did recently on other toys:

Pictures - Jingo is about to be really happy or mad... | Page 3 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

His favorite is the maze forager on my website, no lie. Followed closely by the Caitec Generation I.

From my own toys, he really likes the Charmed toy, Caffeine Fix, Pill Poppin Polly, and Grapefruit
These are great! And that octopus is amazing! Done and done. :D

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I have found the best way to get birds interested in toys is to get them hooked on some easy DIY toys with treats inside. Ilove taking TP cores cut into round thin strips about a 1/3 of an inch. Wrap 4-5 or 6 of them around an almond is a great way to start. Let your bird see the nut inside before giving it to him/her.

Wild birds spend about 1/3 of their day foraging for food which is one thing our companion pet birds generally do not get to do. That is why it is so very important to keep them used to foraging for food even if it's simply hiding some food all over their cage or bird room. Also having some food in several locations not just sitting in a single bowl. Keep your birds stimulated with plenty of ways for them to get their food. To get them started foraging you can even start by simply covering their food bowl with a piece of paper with a tear in it then gradually make it harder by eliminating the tear then move to putting a string or rubber band holding the paper in place with a tear in it then no hole next. Wrap an almond or pine nut in paper and put it in their bowl. This will help keep them from destructive behaviors. They don't have to be expensive foraging wheels like the one in the picture. You can make them yourself with bird safe things around the house. This link will give you several places to get some great and creative ideas for what you can do to make your own DIY foraging toys. https://www.google.com/search?q=www.google/pictures+DIY+foraging+toys

Sally Blanchard has a great website you can check out here about bird foraging in their natural & wild environment. day in life

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I take the cardboard from a paper towel roll or toiler paper and fill it with different things. I crimp the edges and clip it in the cage. Sometimes it's a treat, sometimes it's an almond or a piece of wood for them to chew up. They have to work to get the tube open in order to get whatever is inside. The Macaws tear it apart in a few minutes, but the conures can take a few hours to work on it.