• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Time Do Your Birds Put Themselves To Sleep

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
I usually close Charlie's cage around 8/830. Same time as my kids bedtime .But he never wants to sleep lol and about 9/930 my fiance takes him out for cuddles and pets on the couch for about an hour. Then we put him to bed and cover him up. So about 1030/11 we cover him. Then he screams for about ten/twenty minutes well running along the cage bars. Then it's quite. And he usually starts calling for wake up in the morning around 10. If I wake him up eariler then that he's mad, like super mad lol he's not a morning bird!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Cute photo @Lady Jane ! Fergus and Fiona have the lights dimmed around 8 - 8:30 and then I cover them at 10 p.m. Uncovering in the morning is 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Mine don't land on any surfaces either - they just fly right back to their cage during Flytime! My friend has budgies that land all over her bedroom, I can't understand why mine don't explore more!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So I am thinking that many of us do not cover their birds for sleeping until a later time. This surprises me unless these birds do end up getting 10 to 12 hours of quality sleep.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
So I am thinking that many of us do not cover their birds for sleeping until a later time. This surprises me unless these birds do end up getting 10 to 12 hours of quality sleep.
I used to worry about Blu not getting 12 hours of sleep but if he did, we would never have time to spend together due to me working. If he was a female capable of laying eggs I would be much more worried about it. He seems good with 9-10 hours and then napping during the day. I bet he'd be less hormonal if I had time to let him sleep 12 hours but it's pretty manageable most of the time, thankfully.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We're a 6:30 PM bedtime for all birds around here....6:30 AM uncover time. Milton sometimes lies to stretch the time out, and Buddy sometimes wants to get covered early.

With seven birds, we have to have a schedule around here...

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
This is going to be very unpopular, but my CAG goes to bed whenever I do. Her cage is in the living room. I tend to go to bed around 9:30-10 p.m. most nights. It's just me and one roommate, so the house is pretty quiet after that.
I do the same with my budgie (he sleeps in my room). It's just him for nearly a year, since we lost his mate, so now I'm his flock and he likes to sleep at the same time as me. When I'm about to go to bed, I dim the lights and close his cage door while I go to get ready for bed. If I'm not back within about 3 minutes he starts climbing around the cage door trying to get out, the little nut.

My sister used to put her budgies to bed around dusk, but my guy wants to be up if he knows I'm up. In fact, even after I cover his cage and turn out the last light... He won't climb up to his sleep perch until he hears me lay down in bed. It's so cute.

Also, he'll be quiet in the morning until I uncover him. If I am later than usual uncovering him, he might make a few sounds, but he uses his "whisper" voice. I don't know if this is normal, or if I just have the most considerate budgies ever (my female did the same thing)!

M&M almost never venture away from the cage area when they are flying. Never have they landed on any surface that was not attached to the cage. I guess they just feel most comfortable that way.
That's so funny! Wuggie seems to know which stuff is his, and he doesn't land on anything else either! (Unless he gets startled pretty badly, then he might land on the curtains, or in my closet on top of my dollhouse). It's quite handy, because for the most part I don't have to worry about poop on random stuff, or worry about not being able to find him. I can't relate to stories of birds getting into everything and chewing on everything!

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I still worry about this sometimes, but I actually make sure that I get myself to bed at a better time because of him-- and if I can tell he is ready to go to sleep earlier than normal, I close up whatever I'm working on and we go to bed. Also, I have no kids, no other birds, no other pets--- so he can easily nap whenever he wants during the day.

I'm on medical leave from work currently, but when I am working I get home around 7:30.. So dinner and cleanup and everything isn't even done till around 9, and he needs some quality time before bed.

Right now while I'm on leave, I've often taken naps during the day, and he will nap with me ("with" time-wise..he's on his own perch of course).

I have Narcolepsy so my sleeping is often out of whack... But if there's a night I'm tossing and turning a lot, I go sleep on the living room floor so as not to disturb his sleep.

I'm sure I'll worry his whole life if I could be doing better for him, but I pay very close attention to how anything affects him so I can adjust if needed.

Deneen

Meeting neighbors
Hi I'm new here! I was just wondering about schedules. I've had my lil guy 2 weeks now, I think he's on the pet stores schedule. I assumed he'd get up early but he doesn't. He sleeps basically from 9PM to 9AM, which is just about the store hours. I uncover him around 6:30AM, but he is no where near ready to get moving. I sit next to him and have my coffee, do my make up getting ready for work etc. This AM he chattered softly as if to say "You will never believe this dream I had" lol but then he went back to sleep. I'm getting him a buddy but this time...I really researched better and found a breeder who hand feeds her English babies, I'm very excited. It will be interesting to see the difference in their schedules at first anyway.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
This is going to be very unpopular, but my CAG goes to bed whenever I do. Her cage is in the living room. I tend to go to bed around 9:30-10 p.m. most nights. It's just me and one roommate, so the house is pretty quiet after that.
Same here. My Grasskeets huddle up in their sleeping spots at sundown, i cover their cage at sundown and dim the lights in the family room. My M2's are night owl's and like to munch on their dinner when I eat after the lights go dim. After they had a nighttime snack around 8:30 I cover them for the night, they hunker down after sunset. Depending on the season and time of year it fluctuates.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Cute photo @Lady Jane ! Fergus and Fiona have the lights dimmed around 8 - 8:30 and then I cover them at 10 p.m. Uncovering in the morning is 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Mine don't land on any surfaces either - they just fly right back to their cage during Flytime! My friend has budgies that land all over her bedroom, I can't understand why mine don't explore more!
I think that's a blessing in disguise, no poop on everything. LOL !

Last edited: