• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ideas For Shredding/ Shreddable toys???

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Looking for toys for a bird that likes to shred...especially paper...

Need ideas/suggestions???

Now I want those incarnate people who I swear at for dumping 2 or 3 dozen phone books at my apt to come back!!!!:blahblah:

I do get annoyed as most people don't use them, they are a waste of trees & I have to have someone dispose or recycle them!

What paper/ cardboard is safe...I guess the print ink concerns me the most...

Might be able to impale a chunk of phone book or chunks on a stainless skewer for shredding fun!

Don't want anything that can wrap around a leg, head etc...nothing with strings...don;t want any injuries!

Any ideas/suggestions...Will have to check out the SWS...

I'll give my sun tissue paper boxes (after I've taken out the plastic), Keurig coffee boxes and the heavier duty cardboard wine boxes - none of which have tape and most have openings already. Tikki sees me coming with a small box and is all aflutter until I put it down in his playstand. With some I need to open the back or side so he can see inside and know there are no monsters waiting for him.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'll give my sun tissue paper boxes (after I've taken out the plastic), Keurig coffee boxes and the heavier duty cardboard wine boxes - none of which have tape and most have openings already. Tikki sees me coming with a small box and is all aflutter until I put it down in his playstand. With some I need to open the back or side so he can see inside and know there are no monsters waiting for him.

No shortage of boxes here. I can always snoop in the recycle bin if need be.

I was just going to throw alot out so I better just put them aside but I already have boxes of boxes around so I am in need or organization...I tend to reuse all those things.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I take old phone books to the print shop and have them drill the bound end with holes ( like a sheet of notebook paper but with about 6-8 holes) and then cut them half way between the holes into strips that I hang on a SS cable with a SS quick link and let them shred away. This way allows one phone book to last much longer. And it turns your birds into busy bees and it keeps them occupied and quiet.

lawnmaintenanceservices.gif

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Today was what could happen did happen all ding dang day.
We do phone books @ the clinic for the big guys, Dr Paul does them at home with bandsaw and a drill. The clinic crew love their shredders.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I take old phone books to the print shop and have them drill the bound end with holes ( like a sheet of notebook paper but with about 6-8 holes) and then cut them half way between the holes into strips that I hang on a SS cable with a SS quick link and let them shred away. This way allows one phone book to last much longer. And it turns your birds into busy bees and it keeps them occupied and quiet.

View attachment 274800
I send any phone books I get hold of to @aooratrix who turns them into toys for his fids.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra

No shortage of boxes here. I can always snoop in the recycle bin if need be.

I was just going to throw alot out so I better just put them aside but I already have boxes of boxes around so I am in need or organization...I tend to reuse all those things.
So do I - I've a nice collection of Amazon boxes which are sturdy and I reuse for shipping or storage. Reuse, repurpose, recycle.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
How would I findout what kind of ink/paper the Los angels metro bus schedules use & if its birdsafe???
Have quite a few out of date that would make a nice skewer toy...???

wow you can order them in MN...

Order Schedules - Metro Transit

Last edited:

issajoy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melissa

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Phone books are getting rare but now if a carload gets dumped off I will have a use for them!!!
:omg:
You have to try weird places like your neighbours, the library, senior centers, park districts & government offices.

Laura729

Jogging around the block
Phone books are getting rare but now if a carload gets dumped off I will have a use for them!!!
:omg:
I've been really lucky where I live - for some reason the city still delivers tons of phone books to each building and business in my neighborhood and 98% of people never bring them in, just leaving them outside (still in plastic, thankfully) on their stoops or on the sidewalk for recycling or trash pickup, so I ask if I can take them (always "yes!") and now many neighbors know I will take them so give me huge stacks for the rescue birds. It's AMAZING.

And as people have mentioned for other shredder ideas, cupcake liners (with no metal in/on them), cardboard boxes stuffed with paper shred and treats, cardboard tubes (certain types of paper and other items come on some pretty thick tubes. I work in an architecture firm and the tracing paper we have, for example, comes on super durable, but small diameter-wise cardboard tubes with no glue attachment, which is good), random paper recyclables (as long as they are clean, no super shiny or metallic surfaces, no chemical smells, no heavily dyed colored inks usually - though most ink is now much safer than it used to be).