• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Nike Talking

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
I've read that Hawk Heads aren't great talkers in that their words aren't as clear as other parrots and that seems to be the case with Nike. She is getting more vocal daily. She is very good at mimicking sounds and will immediately mimic sounds I make when she's in the mood but she hasn't picked up any new words. Her "night, night" was new today and something that we never say. It's as if her old vocabulary is coming back to her the more comfortable she gets.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Awwwhhh! So cute.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Wow, I think she's a great talker! What a beauty.

bill-e

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bill Esposito
Thanks, today she added "Hi Nike", "Night Night Nike, and "Pretty Bird". Something must have clicked with her comfort or excitement level to cause her to use more of her vocabulary. She is also make mroe sounds that we've not heard before.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Thanks, today she added "Hi Nike", "Night Night Nike, and "Pretty Bird". Something must have clicked with her comfort or excitement level to cause her to use more of her vocabulary. She is also make mroe sounds that we've not heard before.
It's funny...Milton had a few words for the first three years he was with us. About two years ago, came a virtual explosion of words and phrases, many used in correct context at the time. I estimate he has about 75 words and phrases that he's used and is using. He doesn't talk a lot in front of strangers...yet.
He's a regular chatterbox in the evening, and when he's having a shower...

95talongirl

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marybeth kiczenski
They have the cutest voices.

Maverick aslso says "what are you doing?" Sometimes he will stretch it out to "what are you dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooin"

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Loved the video. Beautiful bird :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Gosh...Did not think Milton would have such a high voice...
Over the last two years, Milty has lowered the "tone" of his voice...he actually is sounding a little like my voice...

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Could be...Milty's first person was an older gentleman...then he lived with his daughter after he passed away. After that, his foster person was a female. Milty still coughs like an old man when he wants to go to bed...:goodnight2:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Could be...Milty's first person was an older gentleman...then he lived with his daughter after he passed away. After that, his foster person was a female. Milty still coughs like an old man when he wants to go to bed...:goodnight2:
:laughing6:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Dobby tries to sound like me when he says Hi Dobby, and sounds like Momazon and my sister when he says things they say to him. For him though whistles and sound effects are his favorite ways of expressing himself.
Maxi Pionus aren't known to be good talkers either and tend to sound like drunken pirates, but can be quite clear when they feel like it.