• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Canary problem

sukiskye6

Checking out the neighborhood
I live in Greece and bought my 3rd canary about a year ago, he was quite small when I bought him and he hasn't started singing although I have tried almost everything I have read about on the internet. Also, when he had his bath today I noticed a bald patch on his chest which is only visible when he is wet. Can anyone give me any advice about the singing and the bald patch. Is this normal?

nellysmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Diane
Not sure about the bald spot. But are you sure you have a male? Females generally do not sing. Also do you know how old he is?

sukiskye6

He must be just over a year old now and I did buy him as a male!! I understand it is very difficult to tell males from females.

Serin

Sprinting down the street
The bald patch is normal when bathing, the feathers are naturally parted there and it shows when wet. A canary which does not sing by this time is a female. I've bought so many "males" which eventually lay eggs I've learned if it doesn't sing before you buy it you can never be sure of what you're actually getting.

sukiskye6

Thank you Serin, I did wonder about "him"being female, and it has put my mind to rest about the bald patch!

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Maybe that bald patch is actually a brood patch? I'm not 100% certain if canaries do that, though. @finchly ?

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love canaries. I've had 2 male border canaries at different times. My one canary lived for 17 years (and sang till he was an old fella) and my other had multiple strokes and lived less than 1 year with me. I bought each of them at over 1 year old and as proven singers. I don't know if that's how it's always done, but it was clear that both of mine were boys based on the singing. I agree with the others that maybe he's a she. But even a female has a sweet song. I don't know about the bald patch. My canaries did look pretty pitiful when they were wet, so I guess the feathers weren't all that deep. What kind of canary is he/she? Do you have others now too? Another singer should really inspire the others.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Maybe that bald patch is actually a brood patch? I'm not 100% certain if canaries do that, though. @finchly ?
Yes I was thinking they do, let me run in there and look.

ETA: yeppers!

Last edited: