• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sun Conure questions

Lauren Lyon

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren Lyon
This past Sunday, my Sun conure, Frankie, tragically passed away. She always seemed perfectly healthy, up until Monday, April 17. She was very lethargic and within an hour of becoming this way she seemed like she would not make it to the vet before passing. Thankfully she did, and they gave her a shot for her nausea, as she had been vomiting, and some antibiotics. She responded to them very well, and was back to her normal self clear through Saturday. But Sunday morning we found her on the floor of her cage, very lethargic, and she passed away in our arms only a short while later.

We were not able to get a necropsy done on her due to cost, so we had her cremated. I would still like some closure, just to know what may have been wrong.

Looking back, she had many traits that we just assumed were part of her demeanor. She was pretty much always puffed up a little, but not aggressive. She had a funny little walk, like she wasn’t very good at walking straight forward, and when she would step up it was always timid and a little shaky. She was approaching two years old when she passed, and we had had her since September, but I can’t remember a single time that she ever even attempted flight, even when her flight feathers had grown out some. She had bad separation anxiety, and when she was even a few feet away from our Jenday, she would scream and do a little wing shake. Not really a flap, as they wouldn’t be extended, just a shoulder shake. Her poops were always a bit runnier than our Jenday’s, but we figured it was because she took in more water since she would always dip her food in it.

It has been very hard without my sweet little Frankie. Our Jenday misses her too, they were very close. I wish more than anything that I could have gotten a necropsy done for her just to have the closure, but they are just too expensive. If anyone has any answers to these handful of quirks, I would immensely appreciate hearing them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is seriously hard to make a more educated guess than your vet would. As prey animals, birds are pros at hiding illnesses because they have to be, which is why it's so important to monitor things like behavior, poop, etc. Those are our first clues that something is wrong. Once something is obviously wrong, it usually means your bird is very sick.

I would probably take the Jenday into the vet for a checkup to be sure it wasn't something communicable.

WillowNMurphy

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Willow
This past Sunday, my Sun conure, Frankie, tragically passed away. She always seemed perfectly healthy, up until Monday, April 17. She was very lethargic and within an hour of becoming this way she seemed like she would not make it to the vet before passing. Thankfully she did, and they gave her a shot for her nausea, as she had been vomiting, and some antibiotics. She responded to them very well, and was back to her normal self clear through Saturday. But Sunday morning we found her on the floor of her cage, very lethargic, and she passed away in our arms only a short while later.

We were not able to get a necropsy done on her due to cost, so we had her cremated. I would still like some closure, just to know what may have been wrong.

Looking back, she had many traits that we just assumed were part of her demeanor. She was pretty much always puffed up a little, but not aggressive. She had a funny little walk, like she wasn’t very good at walking straight forward, and when she would step up it was always timid and a little shaky. She was approaching two years old when she passed, and we had had her since September, but I can’t remember a single time that she ever even attempted flight, even when her flight feathers had grown out some. She had bad separation anxiety, and when she was even a few feet away from our Jenday, she would scream and do a little wing shake. Not really a flap, as they wouldn’t be extended, just a shoulder shake. Her poops were always a bit runnier than our Jenday’s, but we figured it was because she took in more water since she would always dip her food in it.

It has been very hard without my sweet little Frankie. Our Jenday misses her too, they were very close. I wish more than anything that I could have gotten a necropsy done for her just to have the closure, but they are just too expensive. If anyone has any answers to these handful of quirks, I would immensely appreciate hearing them.

I don’t have any answers but i’d Like to say that I’m sorry for your loss. :(

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
I'm so sorry you've lost Frankie - she sounds like such a sweet little bird. I can't help with the particular traits that you describe, but I had a similar experience with my budgie when I was young. He, too, only lived for a couple of years and died very suddenly. With hindsight we suspected that he may never have been super-healthy, although Billy, like Frankie, was a sweet, happy, inquisitive and very friendly little bird. I felt very bad in case I had missed something, but consoled myself with the thought that his life, though short, was definitely happy. He was much loved. I hope that you can accept that you gave Frankie a happy and fulfilled life no matter what. I know you'll miss her - I'm glad you have your Jenday to help keep your spirits up.