• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Finding a bath tub?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Sooooo, monsieur finally took a bath today. Or tried to, at least. My issue is that he lost his balance and was miserabirble after getting a little more wet than he wanted to. Safety isn't an issue, but keeping him happy here is.

I've e tried shallow Tupperware dishes, an igloo shaped bird bath, the ones that come with perches, but he only likes to bathe in his water dish.

I was wondering if anyone knew if shallow water bowls I can hook on the side if his cage?

Attachments

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Have you tried looking to see if any shallow cat dishes would fit in one of the water dish holders? That way he could feel like he was still bathing in a water dish.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have that water dish just above. It is versatile because you can put just about anything in it for the birds. My budgies do not get very wet when they try to bathe because it is rather small for the two of them and they always go in together. It may work for you little one. I learned to put it in place and then carry the water to the cage otherwise it gets spilled.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Have you tried looking to see if any shallow cat dishes would fit in one of the water dish holders? That way he could feel like he was still bathing in a water dish.
The problem is he doesn't like water dishes that are on the ground. I tried putting something similar in his cage, but unless it's up high, he either ignores it or does his darnedest to tip it over.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Lixit, though! How exactly do you attach it? Do you have to remove the standing base, or does it just lock into the bit you screw onto the cage?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The base has a butterfly bolt which attaches it to the side of the cage (wherever you want). The bowl itself has an "I" shaped piece on the bottom which slips into a notch on the arm part of the base and you twist it to lock it in place.

Note: I've found it easier to put the empty bath tub/bowl in place first and then use a small milk jug or cup to fill the tub itself.

If you look at the 3rd picture down it explains what I'm talking about.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
The problem is he doesn't like water dishes that are on the ground. I tried putting something similar in his cage, but unless it's up high, he either ignores it or does his darnedest to tip it over.

Thanks to everyone who suggested the Lixit, though! How exactly do you attach it? Do you have to remove the standing base, or does it just lock into the bit you screw onto the cage?
The Lixit is a good idea! I was thinking about the dish holders that attach to the side of the cage for stainless steel food and water bowls, but then to find a shallow cat bowl to fit in that. But the Lixit solves that problem better lol.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
My gccs like them and the tiels like to just sit in them. Deep enough to get wet but not so deep that you end up with a flood in the cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne