• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone know about seagull subspecies?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I fed the seagulls in a parking lot today (I know it's not a healthy meal but I just couldn't resist) All of a sudden a gargantuan seagull flew in and took off with most of the food.

I've seen seagulls plenty of times before but I have never seen a giant one before.

Does anyone know if there are different subspecies, all within one area?

I know seagulls in different countries look a tad bit different than the ones in Chicago (some have yellow feet and here they have grey feet) but I never knew they could vary in size so much. Is he migrating or something? Or is this guy just a gooood eater? :lol:

I'm sorry it's not a great picture but the big guy dived in and was gone in an instant.

Hopefully you can see the difference. The pic really does not do his size justice!
20180423_144016.jpg

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Were the other 3 the same size. You bigger one could be a Herring Gull, he could definitely be a migrant.

Gulls can definitely be tricky, overall size, the beak shape, eye color, leg/feet color and coloring and the color on the back of the wings (on top) are great places to start if you are trying to figure them out.

The one in the back look smaller than the other three.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Were the other 3 the same size. You bigger one could be a Herring Gull, he could definitely be a migrant.

Gulls can definitely be tricky, overall size, the beak shape, eye color, leg/feet color and coloring and the color on the back of the wings (on top) are great places to start if you are trying to figure them out.

The one in the back look smaller than the other three.
I think the smaller 3 all looked the same. It must be the angle that makes that one look smaller.

It could've definitely been a Herring Gull! I had no idea there were so many kinds of gulls. Thanks so much for that link, Laurie!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You are welcome. Gulls are actually really hard. Mature gulls are one thing but each one has 2-3 other plumages depending on their age and season.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
I feel like Sam deserves having someone open that packet for him just because he managed to steal it in the first place :D
Too cute :)

(Not really ;) that wouldn't be good for him)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Looks like a Herring gull to me. There are many of them around here around Lake Erie.

They also hang out at the plaza area of stores a couple blocks away from the house. Once in awhile, a flock of them will roost around here...they poop on my car a lot! ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I saw another one yesterday on a light pole. They are huge and magnificent.

Maybe I've seen them all along but never noticed because it wasn't next to our native seagulls, for size reference.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I fed the seagulls in a parking lot today (I know it's not a healthy meal but I just couldn't resist) All of a sudden a gargantuan seagull flew in and took off with most of the food.

I've seen seagulls plenty of times before but I have never seen a giant one before.

Does anyone know if there are different subspecies, all within one area?

I know seagulls in different countries look a tad bit different than the ones in Chicago (some have yellow feet and here they have grey feet) but I never knew they could vary in size so much. Is he migrating or something? Or is this guy just a gooood eater? :lol:

I'm sorry it's not a great picture but the big guy dived in and was gone in an instant.

Hopefully you can see the difference. The pic really does not do his size justice!
View attachment 274784
According to my Birds of Illinois field guide there are 2 types of gulls - one is the ring-billed gull (19" w/a yellow beak with a black stripe on it) - the other is the herring gull (23-26" with an all yellow beak which has a marked downward curved tip; the lower beak has a red spot near the tip). The ring-bill has yellowish legs and the herring has pinkish legs.

You can probably zoom in on your photo to see the detail better.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
the herring gull (23-26" with an all yellow beak which has a marked downward curved tip; the lower beak has a red spot near the tip).
I can vouch for that...there's FOUR of them having a conference in our back yard right now...;) :rofl:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
According to my Birds of Illinois field guide there are 2 types of gulls - one is the ring-billed gull (19" w/a yellow beak with a black stripe on it) - the other is the herring gull (23-26" with an all yellow beak which has a marked downward curved tip; the lower beak has a red spot near the tip). The ring-bill has yellowish legs and the herring has pinkish legs.

You can probably zoom in on your photo to see the detail better.
Thank you, Sandra! I need to buy that book :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
You can also download the free Merlin app, by Cornell Lab :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
yellow beak which has a marked downward curved tip; the lower beak has a red spot near the tip
That is the easiest way to see the different. (besides size) Their beak is so special.
They are our most common sea bird, and here we call them Trut.