• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Untamed Kakariki out of the cage! HELP!

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
Ok , so today i collected 2 beautiful Kakariki Parakeets.... popped one in the cage no problem.... however ! Mr Houdini managed to escape in under 0.3 seconds. I hadn't even opened the box fully and ping. ... he's now sat on my curtain pole.

He's flown around the room several times but after 3 hours or trying to enticing him with food and treats, I'm wondering how on earth I am going to get him in in a cage he's never been in before? any advice would be much appreciated! I'm feeling like a complete div right now haha!!

I've done about 3 weeks worth of research and felt prepared to do this properly and train/tame them before letting them out.... totally not going to plan

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Can you put a travel cage out, with plenty plenty of food? Door open, let him calm down a bit while you sit on the floor or something?

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
Ive put the cage on the tabel with all of the doors open so its at flying height .... like easy access.. I have put food around the cage on the table.... I'm sat on the floor at the moment but at a distance. In have no other sounds in the room either , tv and everything is switched off.

He seems calm, he's currently asleep or thats how it seems

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well, if you are willing to do that you could try catching him now. Parrots are more sensitive then water fowl for example so Chasing him around for half an hour won’t be good, but if he is asleep/half asleep now, grab a towel and walk up to him really slowly, and them grab him.

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
Ok I just tried that and im not the tallest of people. Even on a chair haha! He's just flown onto a photo frame but I think if I wait for him to sleep again I should be able to towel him. Thank you

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hope you get him! This is quite stressfull after just bringin them home(for you all of course), Congratulations on bringing them home:) The one that is out and about now is sure to cause Some mischief in the future:embarassed:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have no experience with little guys (we have amazons), but I think I read somewhere that it's easier to corral a tiny bird when it's dark.

Sounds like you'll be having fun with these guys though!

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
Thank you, im a worrier which is why I've tried to be really prepared... obviously I didn't prepare for this happening haha!!

He hasn't eaten anything or drank since I got him home either.. . This bothers me. . How long will he be ok for

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm an official worry wart. We have a member here that calms all of us down.

I don't know how long birds can go without water and food. I do know that most get 12 hours sleep and they aren't drinking or eating then.

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
Mr Houdini has jumped on top of the cage and is eating treats ... Thank goodness for that!!

I think my other one has clipped wings, she doesn't seem to be able to fly. This wasn't told to me when I got them ... does this matter?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes as @Clueless Said, darken the room! Though be carefull, Some birds Will panick and trash around. Close the curtains and put the light out and see what happens.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Mr Houdini has jumped on top of the cage and is eating treats ... Thank goodness for that!!

I think my other one has clipped wings, she doesn't seem to be able to fly. This wasn't told to me when I got them ... does this matter?
So I guess the name will stick? You could call him Harry for short!

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
My room is as dark as possible. All curtains and doors are closed . They have been all day , I have a very light room unfortunately

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

Her new wing feathers Will molt in(replacing feathers), if you’re lucky they still have to molt so she Will be able to fly short distanced pretty soon. It could take up to a year to replace all clipped feathers though. Do you know if she was ever flighted? If not, you and her friend have to teach her, prepare for Some clumsiness is that is the case:) Do you want to tame them? If so, I find clipped wings to be a little nuisance, the clipped birds I have met were less confident, more ‘flighty’ etc., but if you don’t force her to do anything and go at her pace, it really shouldn’t be a problem:hug8:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My room is as dark as possible. All curtains and doors are closed . They have been all day , I have a very light room unfortunately
Oh that’s a shame, is he still ‘active’? If the room is much brighter when everything is open, you could try opening it for a few minutes and the closing it. Catch him right after you close everything, his eyes Will have to adjust to the sudden light change so he Will likely not fly away immediantly.

Leithafea

Moving in
Real Name
Donia
I would very much like to tame them both. That was my initial plan :roflmao: To take them both gradually before allowing them to fly...., the last time I had a bird was over 20 years ago and it was a cockatiel, so it's been a while haha!

I didn't originally want clipped wings as I fell a bit mean them not being able to fly. It's a bird, it shouldn't be restricted like that , so I'm gutted actually (for the bird, not me)! :unsure1:

I don't think either of them have been flighted to be honest, they're from a small aviary but i don't think they ever had chance to leave their cages.

I am very patient and I don't want to distress either of them

And yes I think Houdini will probably stick at this rate haha!!! :lol:

Kgsquared

Moving in
Real Name
Keith
You are going to just love them my Solo is one of my favorite out of 10 birds(5 species). They are the wildest things and eventually you’ll be able to let them fly and unfortunately as you probably found out the will not be caught unless they want to enjoy. This is Solo my 7 mouth Kakariki and Genius my 2 month Sun Conure

Attachments