• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rare Fallow Chicks

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I've been waiting to post this here, and I'm really excited to show you guys my clutch of fallows.

Birdie (mom) is a Cobalt, Goldenface, Rec. Pied / Fallow
Destiny (dad) is a Cobalt, DF Violet Fallow

Since Birdie is only split to Fallow, not all of the chicks will visually show the mutations, but they will all be split for it. The first 3 chicks have black eyes, which means they are split, and chick #4 has red eyes, which means he/she will be a visual fallow!

I'll post more pictures as the chicks grow, so check back for updates :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Cute little babies!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am happy for you. Wish I could get one of your babies but it's not meant to be.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I had a fallow budgie for a few weeks that looked just like birdie. I had to give her up to a friend (,who has had budgies before) when I moved. I hated rehoming her, but I needed her cage to transport Dexter and my family can barely deal with Dex being around, let alone a second bird.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Birdie isn't a visual Fallow, so just by looking at her, you'd never know that she was split for Fallow. Since I bred her myself, I knew that she was hidding this mutation and just needed to be paired up with a visual fallow for her chicks to show the mutation.

Visually, birdie is a Cobalt, Yellowface II, Recessive Pied. She is split for fallow, meaning that the mutation is not visual on her.

You can see this in her chicks as well, the first three are not visual fallows, so you would never know that they had this mutation, but the last chick will be a visual fallow.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is good information. How long have you been working with budgies? Any English yet?

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
That is good information. How long have you been working with budgies? Any English yet?

Growing up, my dad bred and hand raised budgies, which he always involved me in. His hands were too big to band the babies, and too big to delicately hand feed the smaller chicks, so he always had me do it. After he passed away (I was 19 and in university), we sold off the remaining birds. I always felt like there was something "missing" in my life after that.... the house was too quiet, and I missed the companionship of having budgies.

As soon as I moved out on my own, I knew I had to have budgies again, and rescued two from my local animal shelter. Aaaaannnndddd......the rest is history. I've pretty much had budgies my entire life :)

No English budgies yet! I'm working on it though, the closest English breeders are a 5-6 hour drive away.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for the background. The "budgie bug bit you" early on. You are doing a fine job with them. I truly have a great deal of respect for budgie breeders that really care about the welfare of the species.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Here are some new pics!

Chick #1, Male. this little one is a favourite and I already have a home lined up for him. His new momma is coming this weekend to see him in person. :)

Chick #2

Chick #4 - the visual fallow

If you're wondering where chick #3 is, he is now flying over the rainbow bridge. I noticed a while ago that he wasn't gaining any weight, and he had a gimpy little leg. We went to the vet and she did a crop swab and fecal test, and everything came back as normal. She wasn't sure why he wasn't putting on weight. I started hand feeding him to hopefully fatten him up, but he just wouldn't gain any weight. Chick #4 quickly surpased him in size, and the poor little guy gave up his battle over the weekend. We fought a good fight together, be free my little "Gimpy"!

lyx

Sprinting down the street
Aw sweet babies! They're all beautiful. Sad to hear about one of the chicks, sounds like he gave it a good fight :heart:

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
Sorry to hear about the little guy who didn't make it. The others are beautiful though. I can see why number 1 is a favorite right now - his colors are stunning (but he also has more feathers to show off at this point).

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
All of these chicks how have name and homes! (they are still with me for a few more weeks, none of them are weaned yet)

Chick #1 is now named "Taz"

Chick #2 is now named "Screech" for all the screeching he does if his nest box gets disturbed lol

Chick #3 is named Stardust, and he will be staying with me.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
They are so beautiful and look so sweet:swoon:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran