• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small raised ball/bump next to beak

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well.

I just noticed a small raised bump on one side of my macaws face. The other side is flat/normal.

The bump is kind of hardish but not "hard".

I have emailed photos of it to my local vet as the receptionist is in and the vet will look at it tomorrow morning and will get back to me whether or not I should bring her in. But I wanted to post the pics here and seek all your expertise on what it could be and if it is potentially serious or not.

Thanks a lot as always everyone.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I had a funky little cyst removed from my BG not too long ago. It was up by her nare. My vet said they are common, if that's what yours is.

I've also had bumps like that on my GW that turned out to be sarcomas. Not as easy but either way I would have your vet take a look.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC had a bump by his nare that my vet just wanted to watch. The vet told me they were common. I thought it was growing and was concerned. Recently, i noticed it's nearly gone. Makes me wonder if the parrot just "popped" it?

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I had a funky little cyst removed from my BG not too long ago. It was up by her nare. My vet said they are common, if that's what yours is.

I've also had bumps like that on my GW that turned out to be sarcomas. Not as easy but either way I would have your vet take a look.
:( Thanks for your input that is so hard to hear. Could it be something simple like an insect bite or an allergic response (as this other picture was from a forum thread and they said it was an allergen)

Does sarcoma mean a cancer? like can that be removed ? wow this is horrifying news. Il definitely be at the vets first thing in the morning but wow.

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
MC had a bump by his nare that my vet just wanted to watch. The vet told me they were common. I thought it was growing and was concerned. Recently, i noticed it's nearly gone. Makes me wonder if the parrot just "popped" it?
Was the bump similar to the one mine has ??
Hoping it is nothing major honestly im not going to be able to sleep tonight.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I can't seem to find the picture to upload here. No, it wasn't like yours though.

I freaked out when I originally saw MC's bump and had him to the vet asap.

Just remember, we can't go backwards in time..... just forward. He's blessed that he has you to care for him and to take him in to the Dr. Let's just hope it's minor.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:( Thanks for your input that is so hard to hear. Could it be something simple like an insect bite or an allergic response (as this other picture was from a forum thread and they said it was an allergen)

Does sarcoma mean a cancer? like can that be removed ? wow this is horrifying news. Il definitely be at the vets first thing in the morning but wow.

A sarcoma is a cancer but can be removed. I'm not trying to worry you at all, just giving a positive indication that a vet should see it. :) It's probably a minor thing but it worth looking at.

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The white on macaw faces is very sensitive and they bruise/tear easily.
Hopefully that is all it is a little trauma or something
I am hoping that is the case. Thanks for your kind words.

I can't seem to find the picture to upload here. No, it wasn't like yours though.

I freaked out when I originally saw MC's bump and had him to the vet asap.

Just remember, we can't go backwards in time..... just forward. He's blessed that he has you to care for him and to take him in to the Dr. Let's just hope it's minor.
Thank you for your kind words and yes will definitely be taking her to the vet asap in the morning. I would give away my kidney if it could help her. Love her so much it is so stressful. I am just clinging on to the thought that hopefully it is something minor.

A sarcoma is a cancer but can be removed. I'm not trying to worry you at all, just giving a positive indication that a vet should see it. :) It's probably a minor thing but it worth looking at.
I know you are not trying to cause worry, I always admire and appreciate your vast amount of knowledge that you share with us all here. Atleast you saying that is can be removed gives a sigh of relief IF it is something as horrible as a sarcoma ! But I am hoping that it is something super minor but will visit the vet first thing in the morning and will report back what the vet says. Thanks again.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I know you are not trying to cause worry, I always admire and appreciate your vast amount of knowledge that you share with us all here. Atleast you saying that is can be removed gives a sigh of relief IF it is something as horrible as a sarcoma ! But I am hoping that it is something super minor but will visit the vet first thing in the morning and will report back what the vet says. Thanks again.

The sarcomas pop up on my 77 year old GW. Quite easy to remove and without much worry.

I know how it feels to want to give your kidney to help a macaw. I promise you I do but this is not your time. :)

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran

The sarcomas pop up on my 77 year old GW. Quite easy to remove and without much worry.

I know how it feels to want to give your kidney to help a macaw. I promise you I do but this is not your time. :)
Took to the vet, got a cytology of the lump. Full blood work. Xray. Swab culture of throat and droppings. Should have results of cytology and blood work by Thursday and will report back on findings ! But I asked if he thought it could be a sarcoma and he said unlikely so that took alot of stress out!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Took to the vet, got a cytology of the lump. Full blood work. Xray. Swab culture of throat and droppings. Should have results of cytology and blood work by Thursday and will report back on findings ! But I asked if he thought it could be a sarcoma and he said unlikely so that took alot of stress out!

Well you couldn't have had any more done. What did your vet think it was?

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Well you couldn't have had any more done. What did your vet think it was?
He said it may be an ulcer or even folliculitis but said he will wait until the cytology results to say what it is and a treatment plan. Will keep you all updated when I get the results.

bluegold

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Sorry all I forgot to post back. Everything came out good. He said that the cytology shows it was just an inflammation and that it should disappear on its own which it has been. But the peace of mind is worth more than gold. Honestly I've learnt its always worth getting an experts opinion ! Thank you all on here though, the support is truly amazing and it makes going through hard times of unknown just a little bit easier.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I had a similar situation on Maui my Harlequin. Anything like that should always be looked at by the Vet just to be sure. Maui's ended just being a cyst that went away but always better safe than sorry when it comes to the FIDs. I'm glad everything is okay.