• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird harness

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I love them! I have them for everyone and haven't had any issues. My parents also use them and none of us have ever had an escape, but we are very careful. To be fair, Slade hasn't used his yet though, but I'm sure he'll be fine as well. I like being able to go out with them and not get a poopy shoulder or have to carry a towel with me, but, you have to make sure to change the pad at the recommended times so they don't get dirty too.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I love them! I have them for everyone and haven't had any issues. My parents also use them and none of us have ever had an escape, but we are very careful. To be fair, Slade hasn't used his yet though, but I'm sure he'll be fine as well. I like being able to go out with them and not get a poopy shoulder or have to carry a towel with me, but, you have to make sure to change the pad at the recommended times so they don't get dirty too.
I worry about the velcro coming detached. Is it secure in case the bird pulls away or try to take flight?

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I worry about the velcro coming detached. Is it secure in case the bird pulls away or try to take flight?
I personally think it is. Once when we were out with my parents I was holding their eclectus Sydney. He got spooked and went to fly off and I had the leash looped around my wrist and I just held on and he was fine. Scared the crap out of all the people around him, but we didn't lose him and I just put my hand under him and he felt it and stopped. The bigger thing you need to make sure of is that it's the right size, just like any harness.

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
I will probably try both the aviator and the flight suit. I dont have my bird yet, but I really want him to be able to fly outside

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I will probably try both the aviator and the flight suit. I dont have my bird yet, but I really want him to be able to fly outside
I don't know if the flight suit is actually meant for flying outside. They're more meant for going out and about. The aviator might be a better option for you if that's what you're looking to do. The leashes they are meant to be used with from them aren't even long enough for flying.

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
I think i'll just buy both, one for flying and one for going out!

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
I am a proponent of free flight training with excellent recall and desensitization.

If you work on indoor flight training and your bird has good recall then outside freeflying should not be a problem. It's important to have good ascending flights and descending flights well established indoors before going outside as its more difficult than just flying from point A to point B on a level flight. Also when your bird screws up inside and crashes, apart from seeing that he/she is okay you do not want to go to your bird you want the bird to come to you. The reason being is if your bird gets somewhere you can't reach it you don't want them being accustomed to you rescuing them but rather them learning and used to coming back to you. Then a harness really isn't necessary. It's probably more of a mental state for you thinking it is safer. But training is the safest for your bird without any potential dangers of getting hung up by the leash if there is a problem. Better to have your bird microchipped for that what if situation.

I personally am not a big fan of flight harnesses/suits. But here are some links to check out if you decide to use a harness or suit. Hope it helps.

Pros & Cons of flight harness

Indoor flight training basics

The next 3 are from the parrotwizzard. He's not my first choice but to might help you out if you want to desensitize your bird to the flight suit.

Flight harness desensitization day 1
Parrot Wizard Youtube Video Browser

Flight harness desensitization day 2

Flight harness desensitization day 3

Shyld

Meeting neighbors
My problem is that while i'd be totally down for it if I had a big bird, having a tiny one like a parrotlet or a caique makesit very dangerous because of predators... They wouldnt be able to defend themselves...

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
My problem is that while i'd be totally down for it if I had a big bird, having a tiny one like a parrotlet or a caique makesit very dangerous because of predators... They wouldnt be able to defend themselves...
Predators have very few qualms going after big birds... The only video I've seen of a predator going after a bird was of a hawk going after a cockatoo. Bigger birds might be safe from kestrals, but anything the parrots size or bigger rmight to after them.
Dexter prefers theaviatora. He undos th e Velcro on the suit