• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pied Color Change

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
Hello All!

Blue is 4 now. Some days I still cannot believe that my little floof is all grown up.

I was feeling nostalgic so I looked through some old photos of him and it struck me just how, well, blue he was when he was younger.

Every time he molts he gets more white feathers. I think this has something to do with the pied gene but I'm not completely familiar with bird genetics.

I started out with a blue bird and, with the rate this is going, I have a feeling I might end up with a completely white bird in a few years.

See for yourself :yes3:

At 9 weeks old:

2570922E-D43A-4FDA-8C10-2AC09C0B6649.jpg

Around 6 months old:

16828.jpg

Around 1.5 years old:

71007FEC-662B-4230-92F3-E8BCFA720221.jpg

Around 2.5 years old:

592BA11B-2244-4368-99AE-2572DEF574F4.jpg

Today:

E51051F6-052C-4DBC-B0E5-255796C60377.jpg

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O so very pretty!:faint: A while ago I was told by someone with a pied Blue parrotlet that hers got whiter when he aged too. I don’t know anything else I’m afraid!:D

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Blue is certainly beautiful either way! I haven’t read a lot about how pied mutations work. But from what I have read, it’s just chance whether each feather comes out the normal color or pied. Blue also has red eyes, so he’s fallow. Maybe that plays a factor? I don’t know anything about fallows.

Luka is my first pied parrotlet and he’s still a wee baby at only a year old. He’s turquoise pied. His feathers have so far done the opposite of what Blue’s have. Luka started out with a solid white belly and chest with a mostly green forehead. Now his forehead is much more yellow than green, and his belly has changed. The sides are light gray and the middle of his belly is blue. His wings are tinged with more yellow than before too. 7C0CE70A-F932-4592-879E-23A79B46B29F.jpeg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Blue is beautiful! :cheer: and @GracefulWolf so is Luka! I want a turquoise pied so bad, Luka's darling pictures just reinforce it. Hubby would kill me. LOL

kczoe321

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Kerri
Blue is certainly beautiful either way! I haven’t read a lot about how pied mutations work. But from what I have read, it’s just chance whether each feather comes out the normal color or pied. Blue also has red eyes, so he’s fallow. Maybe that plays a factor? I don’t know anything about fallows.

Luka is my first pied parrotlet and he’s still a wee baby at only a year old. He’s turquoise pied. His feathers have so far done the opposite of what Blue’s have. Luka started out with a solid white belly and chest with a mostly green forehead. Now his forehead is much more yellow than green, and his belly has changed. The sides are light gray and the middle of his belly is blue. His wings are tinged with more yellow than before too. View attachment 274271
Luka is stunning! Look at all those colors :heart2:

And his color changes are happening so fast! I can't wait to see what he looks like in a year or too. So cool!

Nuttyone

Meeting neighbors
Such beautiful coloured babys. Im glad to see im not the only one that goes grey with age .
I do love the colours on them both.