• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Barbets

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
Is there anyone here that has any Barbets as pets?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
There are several species kept in the United States, but they are kept as aviary birds, not usually as pets.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

snada

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sarah
I volunteer at a rehabilitation center in South Africa and I get a lot of tame birds in from the public who have raised the bird from a baby and then hands over this very tame bird as an adult. A Barbet was dropped off with me a month ago and is a very tame adult so he now becomes unreleasable. I was just wondering if there was anyone here that ever had them as pets. The little guy will be staying with me otherwise he will have to be put to sleep as he will not survive in the wild. This little guy is a White eared Barbet.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
We raised a female house finch that was a tiny barely feathered baby from a crow on our roof. She bonded with us and loved us in her own way. She sang the songs of her people, hung out on my hat or mouse hand and slept, and stole our food and drink. She loved baths in any water container we held up and loved her toys and was just plain happy. I think if your Lil guy is already imprinted and likes people he'd be very happy with you and be a tiny fun addition to your flock.

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
I have a Black-collared Barbet with a bad wing that I've had since he was about 2 weeks old. Could never release him which made me quite sad :( But rather a healthy life in captivity with plenty of enrichment than a few days of survival in the wild

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Amy Pierce you have the best birds!

@snada here’s an article about them. I was thinking there is a forum member who has them, maybe not.