• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Update on our Lovebirdsss

ergunm

Meeting neighbors
Our two lovebirds, Tonton and Ringo, were very busy lately. They became mother and father and were raising their kids.

Before anyone ask, I don't and didn't want to breed them. However, I failed to prevent them mating and having a second clutch. Keeping them completely separated makes both of them stressed, and when they are out together they were trying to mate whenever we are not looking and it seems they managed to do it.

As a result we got 5 eggs. after 10 days I was planning to replace them or boil them, but after seeing the heart beating inside the eggs my wife and me decided to give them a chance. I was worried if things will go ok and if they will be good parents, but I am happy to say that they actually have been great parents. 4 eggs hatched and Tonton and Ringo has raised all of them very well. 3 normal green, like their mother, and 1 opaline green. I was surprised with the opaline, it seems father is split to opaline and opaline green baby is a confirmed girl by genetics.

We will only keep the opaline green and rehome the rest. we are lucky that around Tokyo area there are lots of people wanting lovebirds. there is a community site here to rehome pets, I sometimes see a lovebird posted there and it usually finds a home in a couple days. and there are no lovebirds available at any bird rescues here. before getting Ringo I checked rescue and rehome, it was not possible to get any, so I got her from a petshop. I think it is better that someone get our babies who are raised well, instead of getting one from petshop.

Having babies was not easy task for us, but it was a nice experience to observe them as parents as well. Also it was good that they were not hormonal at all while raising babies. I will keep preventing them from breeding more, but this is the hardest task with lovebirds, at least with mines. They get around 10 hours of sleep, they don't sleep more than that, they get upset and wake us up. And they have no nest material and nest like things in their cage, but they were still getting hormonal. Hopefully this will change when they get older.

Attached are some pictures of the babies.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very cute birds. :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I couldn't stand it, all those fluff balls, cuteness overload. Sometimes nature takes its own course!!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Oh, my, beautiful babies.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue