• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

:( Mutilating of the feet

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry for you both! :(
I say the same as Sarah, so sad that you have to go through this.
I hope you find the reason soon. :hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

If he is comfortable with you holding him try to put on raw honey for some minutes and then wash it off. (if is not working to have it on for the night)
Raw honey has bactericidal, antibiotic and fungicidal properties. You can also add some to his food or water.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I just wanted to do a quick update. Vet appointment is still tomorrow. Rupert is doing much, much better. He seems to understand how to milk the situation and get extra treats. I can tell he's feeling better each day as his feet heal. He was talking up a storm earlier. :)

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Poor little Rupert. If you have any polysporin laying around, you could try applying that to his feet?

I wonder if it may be his band, too. Geralt's looked nice and loose, but it caused us serious problems. You wouldn't have known it was too tight until it came off. He also went after his other foot, before we had the band off, too...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Poor little Rupert. If you have any polysporin laying around, you could try applying that to his feet?

I wonder if it may be his band, too. Geralt's looked nice and loose, but it caused us serious problems. You wouldn't have known it was too tight until it came off. He also went after his other foot, before we had the band off, too...
Rupert chews on his leg band very frequently. I'm going to write myself a note so I don't forget to ask them to remove it. I don't think it's related, but it does bother him.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Geralt would pick at his a lot, too. If you get Rupert's removed, keep a good eye on him. It took Geralt a good 15-20 minutes to start attacking his leg after he had his band removed. I hope Rupert has an easier time with getting it removed. For my little guy, the band was made of metal, so they had to put him under general. It took maybe ten minutes total (five going under, maybe one or two to remove it, and two or so for him to wake up).

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
That's horrible he's doing that. I don't know if it's been suggested yet but I used Cayenne pepper on BBB when his toe got bitten. It's supposed to help with the pain and stop infection.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just wanted to do a quick update. Vet appointment is still tomorrow. Rupert is doing much, much better. He seems to understand how to milk the situation and get extra treats. I can tell he's feeling better each day as his feet heal. He was talking up a storm earlier. :)
Great update! ♥
And good luck tomorrow! :)

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's supposed to help with the pain and stop infection.
How do you know that?
And have you ever think that the opposite can be right to?

I will say that never post advice that you don't know is correct. My vet will not recommend cayenne pepper.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Rupert chews on his leg band very frequently. I'm going to write myself a note so I don't forget to ask them to remove it. I don't think it's related, but it does bother him.
If it bothers him,then have it removed..

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Leg band is off. We're testing his feet to see if there is a skin infection. It could be anything, including a seasonal issue, or maybe an allergy (vet says perhaps even dyed wood). We're continuing the SSD cream, and we're giving him diphenhydramine and a general antibiotic "smztmp" (I cannot remember what that stands for).

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Its frustrating when you don't have a concrete answer for these things. I hope you find one. I feel for both of you. How's Rupert doing now? I hope still getting better

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Its frustrating when you don't have a concrete answer for these things. I hope you find one. I feel for both of you. How's Rupert doing now? I hope still getting better
It can be. I've always believed that knowing is half the battle... if you know what the problem is, you can work on fixing it. He's still picking at his feet some, but not as much as he was. I can tell it's healing, even though he has stained his feet blue (I gave him a blue balsa block last night. Oops). The current plan is to get him to stop messing with his feet, and run tests to figure out what's going on.

He enjoyed his medications mixed in a little applesauce and did really well with his foot cream tonight. He was probably already tired from the experience at the vet, but he was like putty in my hands. He let me put cream on his feet, and then I spoke sweetly to him and gave him head rubs for probably 10 minutes straight. He probably could've fallen asleep right there. I love this little guy.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for the post. You're taking such great care of the little guy.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
The first occurrence was nearly a year ago now, and I don't see him favoring his feet at all, so I'm thinking it's caused by some sort of irritation, like dry skin. If it's deep (nerves) I will definitely ask about it.
Likely not nerve pain as it would reappear more often than once a year although maybe something going on in conjunction with hormones? Tuck has issues more so when the hormones hit but he is a very "off" little cheeky.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Likely not nerve pain as it would reappear more often than once a year although maybe something going on in conjunction with hormones? Tuck has issues more so when the hormones hit but he is a very "off" little cheeky.
Hormones are definitely on my mind. I never really understood why it would cause a bird to harm their own body. If it is a hormonal thing, I guess I will just have to keep these things readily available for when it happens. Seems like the medications expire pretty quickly though, so there is some concern there.

Milestone

How do you know that?

I will say that never post advice that you don't know is correct. My vet will not recommend cayenne pepper.
Thank you @Eloy, but have you ever thought that maybe I had confidence that it was correct? I based some of my knowledge of it from info actually found on AA. I also acknowledge that not everyone will have the same view on it (like your vet). Now if you have convincing info on how it is bad I would like to see it. Because I would never want to keep using something on my birds that is not good for them. I only wanted to help with what I thought was helpful. But if it truly isn't helpful then I was wrong to have suggested it. But instead of just saying the opposite may be true, you could prove it. That would be helpful for me and my birds(including others birds).

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
But instead of just saying the opposite may be true, you could prove it.
Why should I prove it? It was YOU that suggested it. I can't understand why people are using things they don't know are safe or good.
My vet say NO for several reasons, one of them is that it isn't clean enough to have in a wound. What did your vet say about it?

Milestone

This is what I was talking about YOU proving.

My vet thinks it is safe and so do many other people. But there will always be people who say something is perfectly fine while others say no its not. So if you think it's not good and I think it is, then that's that. If others think it's good or bad then that's their choice too.

Importance of Cayenne Pepper | Page 2 | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Last edited:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Well... today's been more or less of a failure with oral medication. Rupert barely finished his applesauce + meds this morning. Night time medication went even worse. I mixed this dose with a berry juice, thinking he'd like it since he loves blueberries. I'm wearing a white shirt with a polar bear's face on it, and now it looks like the polar bear's just eaten another animal. :meh: