• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Taking my conure outside?

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!

I just joined this forum (long-time lurker) and would like to ask you a question! As summer is approaching where I live I was thinking of taking my GCC outside to a park where he can enjoy nature, sunshine, hearing other birds. He is 6 months old currently and has never been outside.

I am considering purchasing the Aviator harness for him first before I take him outside, but is this even a good idea? Where I live (Canada) is completely different from his natural habitat, and I'm wondering if there are dangers like toxic trees/plants, parasites etc. Is it safe to let him perch around or walk around in grass? How about if he tries to eat a bug?

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I live in Oklahoma & take my macaw Blu out quite a lot. The Aviator is perfect once you've trained your bird to it. Blu gets excited now When he sees the harness in my hand. He knows he's in for an adventure. He sits in the trees, bushes and grass with no problems. 0128181706_HDR.jpg

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You are right to have concerns, but bugs shouldn't be one of them. Birds will occasionally in the wild. Yiur biggest worries should be hawks and other birds of prey and DOGS. People can be very stupid and think that all animals are like those in Disney movies - any dogs can't kill a conure before you can blink. Hawks and other birds of prey can pluck your bird up before you realize it.

The aviator harness is the best one out there. When you have her out and about be alert at all times and protect her from wonderful nature.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It may take some time for her to get used to the aviator. You can also take her own in a carrier so she can get some sunshine, fresh air, and see how she reacts to being outside. I cover the carrier halfway with a towel so they have a place to hide if they want (and it gives them an area that is shaded if they get too warm).

The aviator is a good harness :) Watch the DVD that comes with it!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am harnass training my lovies, I use the aviator as well. For now I take them outside in a carrier.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
I live in Canada and have my tiel harnes trained to come outside on her aviator harness. I'm trying to work on my lovebirds with a harness before I pick up enough for everyone. Just be prepared to be swarmed by kids asking to hold your conure.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I live in Canada and have my tiel harnes trained to come outside on her aviator harness. I'm trying to work on my lovebirds with a harness before I pick up enough for everyone. Just be prepared to be swarmed by kids asking to hold your conure.
Do you have any training tips perhaps?

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone. I will make sure to train him on the harness first. I watched a couple of youtube videos on it and I can see that it will be difficult. My birb will bite the heck out of me! Hopefully, he can allow me to put it on him...

Another option was to purchase a Pakobird bag to take him out with first, but doesn't seem like the greatest idea. I like the idea of a harness and him being free better. The thing also is that I would need to walk to the park and I can imagine him being nervous around traffic with all the cars whooshing by.

I am actually worried about kids and people with dogs (The park here has so many of them and some people unfortunately leave them off leash outside of the designated areas).

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I would use a carrier as Mizzely said if you are going to a public place.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Do you have any training tips perhaps?
I mostly just took my time with my tiel. I put millet on the harness, under the harness, near the harness. I put my fingers through the holes and pet her through it until she eventually accepted that it was just a thing and the thing wasn't about to hurt her. She started pecking at it out of curiosity, so I let Mims explore it with her beak. Then, I started working on getting it around her head.

Babysteps again. Put it on her back, pulled the head harness out of the way and made the loop as big as I could before putting it on her head and slowly working down from there. Eventually, I got it to just about the same size as the bit that was supposed to go around her neck.

The wings were easy, imho, but she still squirms when I tighten it, if only because it's an odd sensation for her. Mims is fairly good at coming back out of it as well, but she really doesn't like it when it comes off her head.

Just be careful with your birds' feets. Mims will sometimes stick her feet through the loops before I have them tightened up.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I mostly just took my time with my tiel. I put millet on the harness, under the harness, near the harness. I put my fingers through the holes and pet her through it until she eventually accepted that it was just a thing and the thing wasn't about to hurt her. She started pecking at it out of curiosity, so I let Mims explore it with her beak. Then, I started working on getting it around her head.

Babysteps again. Put it on her back, pulled the head harness out of the way and made the loop as big as I could before putting it on her head and slowly working down from there. Eventually, I got it to just about the same size as the bit that was supposed to go around her neck.

The wings were easy, imho, but she still squirms when I tighten it, if only because it's an odd sensation for her. Mims is fairly good at coming back out of it as well, but she really doesn't like it when it comes off her head.

Just be careful with your birds' feets. Mims will sometimes stick her feet through the loops before I have them tightened up.
Thank you!bThat the wings were easy for you is a real relief! I am mostly anxious about training that. Fëanor puts his head through the head loop And stays there for a second, eats his treat and then pops out. I am now working on extending the Time he puts his head in the loop and actually putting the harnass on him as in weight. He is pretty okay with it and gets excited when I get the harnass out. I guess we are on the right way:)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
It really sounds like you guys are doing great! I'm actually thinking of getting a leash extension for my tiel. I find the leash is a bit short and keeps her from really exploring much. It's a great length for walking across a busy street, not so much for the park

echobird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Be aware of the trees that are toxic to parrots too. You don’t want to allow your bird to perch on anything that can potentially harm him. Also, even if the trees are non toxic, you have to consider that they might have been sprayed with pesticide. I only allow my birds to play on trees from my own backyard because of that.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Just remember a harness will not protect your bird from a cat dog or hawk attack. Once they're bitten or crushed it doesn't matter that you still have hold of it by a leash. Other animal attacks usually have a sad ending.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I used to take my GCC out when her wings were clipped. A few times she was able to jump off of me but only to glide to the ground a few feet away. The birds outside are used to the heat, but she's been an inside bird all of her life. Going from 72 inside, to 105 outside is too stressful, even for a few minutes. Now she has her flight feathers back and I don't chance it.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I use a modified dog crate. There are a lot of bird specific carriers available though. I am planning to buy the bird Pouch from celltei, they make all kinds of great carriers!

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
When we go camping Blu lives in a dog training crate. When we are outside I put the crate in a kids Radio Flyer pull wagon. He has been many miles around camp grounds being pulled while we also walk our dogs. We look almost like mini circus parade!