• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Training question

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Hi all! I am trying to do more training with Spinnaker (parrotlet) and we are currently working on high five, as wave was too complicated! He kept wanting to step up. Anyway, we currently have a beak touch and then a foot touch. How do I remove part of the behaviour, as he seems to think the beak touch is part of it :bash::laugh-bounce:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

VantCors

Strolling the yard
I started with 'step up', and he caught on quite quickly. But at some point, he got a bit confused and added touching my finger with his beak. I have my hand palm up and put my index finger by his foot and say 'high five'. He is consistently getting it, but with a beak tap before he touches my finger with his foot.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Are you holding him or is he on a perch?

For waving I hold them on my hand and touch the foot saying "wave". the moment they pick up the foot ( even the slightest ) say "good" and reward them. Once they understand that you can do a palm touch saying high five. Holding your Palm out is a lot of area for her to touch your hand with your beak.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
He is on a perch. I'm having him do it on the end of my finger because he is so small!