• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

From Seed to Fresh?

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
So currently, both my lovebirds are on an almost purely seed diet they, as of today, eat.
Seed mix (includes sunflower)
A rye crispbread (only added last week as they love to shred it)
Any kind of food from my plate(that is good)

And foods like that

As you could probably tell, this is a very bad diet and although I have attempted to feed at least fruits, which they have sniffed at, I still would love to feed a fresh diet. So really, all i'ld like to hear are your stories and any advice.

Thanks in advance:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I fostered a lovebird for awhile. I would get mini peppers for him and cut off the top and hollow it out. I would then stuff it with fruit and vegetables and some of his favorite seeds (which were safflower). He loved eating all the stuff out of it. He would completely empty it out - and then throw the pepper on the floor. LOL. But it might be away to get your bird to try some other foods.

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
We've somehow already had a little breakthrough!
So yesterday, banana was the food of the day (every day I try to give them a new food) and it was nibbled at a bit, but I found that they like food in small pieces. It overall, was a no though.

But this morning, I tried (cooked) potatoes, and they loved it and kept asking for more:bounce4:
I'll feed some again this evening

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Sprouts may be another good thing to feed them too! They aren't super hard to do and you can even start with the current seed they're on. I started with a cheap bulk parakeet mix just to get the hang of it and now am going to buy some better quality sprouting mix. There are kits on Amazon/Bird stores also if you want to just buy it all in one. I personally just rinse it twice in the morning and twice at night and wait till it sprouts then put them in the fridge for up to a week. I'm pretty new at it though so someone else might be able to fill in any blanks or correct anything I've stated incorrectly. Yay for the potatoes though! :highfive:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Could you not place all sorts of healthy veggies on your plate and eat them?:D It took Henkie a long time to eat more veggies, but Fëanor eats almost everything. I freeze chop for them which they get every day, and they also get pieces of the veggies and fruit I eat every day. Just keep offering it, try offering in the morning before their normal food and act really excited about it while ‘eating’ it yourself. Sprouts are great, there is a thread about sprouting in the food court. Because sprouts are basically still seeds, it is likely they Will eat them immediantly:)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Well, here is my story. My birds adore birdie bread. I got recipes from various places, spent quite a bit gathering the ingredients and made it from scratch. It was a total failure for me because after baking it was just soft crumbs of nothing. Since that time I buy a mix Amazon.com: Mommas Original Birdie Bread 13.5 Ounce Bag Parrots Treats: Garden & Outdoor that always turns out well. To it I add chopped greens, coconut oil. and lots of orange veggies like squash, sweet potato and carrots. Also I buy a few jars of baby food and apple juice and add to the mix. Of course it has eggs that one adds also. Sometimes I add finely chopped almonds and soak the healthiest pellets on the plant in the apple juice before mixing in. I bake it in one of those aluminum pans you buy in grocery store. After its done I cut it into small squares and freeze them in sandwich bags. It last my two birds about 2 to 3 months. Its a great way to get the veggies into your bird(s).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't buy any bird food in a pet store. Volkmans is a good seed as is Dr. Harveys. I buy on line at Amazon because of no shipping charges. I also buy bird food on Goldenfeast direct. Will try to give you a link.

Our Complete Line | Goldenfeast Direct

Last edited:

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Well, here is my story. My birds adore birdie bread. I got recipes from various places, spent quite a bit gathering the ingredients and made it from scratch. It was a total failure for me because after baking it was just soft crumbs of nothing. Since that time I buy a mix Amazon.com: Mommas Original Birdie Bread 13.5 Ounce Bag Parrots Treats: Garden & Outdoor that always turns out well. To it I add chopped greens, coconut oil. and lots of orange veggies like squash, sweet potato and carrots. Also I buy a few jars of baby food and apple juice and add to the mix. Of course it has eggs that one adds also. Sometimes I add finely chopped almonds and soak the healthiest pellets on the plant in the apple juice before mixing in. I bake it in one of those aluminum pans you buy in grocery store. After its done I cut it into small squares and freeze them in sandwich bags. It last my two birds about 2 to 3 months. Its a great way to get the veggies into your bird(s).
I do the same buy the birdie bread and add my own for the littles, they know when I add the bread immediately to the dish, lovely to see them enjoy it so much. I use the pouch baby food and works really well with a bit of juice as you do then also use pellets.

Ella won't eat it so I order the mix from Avian Organics she is one picky CAG.

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
To get them interested in veggies, I've used a food processor to chop up a medley of veggies and then sprinkle seed on top.

Also, I have found some fruits and veggies are good "toys." Both of my birds will be interested in wet leafy greens and carrot tops strewn in or around their cages and playstand, and I have also hung just the stalk of a broccoli for them to "shred."

In my experience, I've also found they always want what I'm eating and if I get one to eat/try a new fruit or vegetable, the other will soon follow.

Good luck!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Also, are there any good seed brands for now, right now, I am seeing this in most bird stores, but if you check the ingredients, you can see sky and other things:
https://www.scarlettsparrotessentials.co.uk/hagen-lovebird-cockatiel-premium-seed-908g

Edit: I will try sprouting today too
I have bought Hagen Tropican pellets before and like the brand and found it to be reputable. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about their seeds.

Ella won't eat it so I order the mix from Avian Organics she is one picky CAG.
Avian Organics and Things 4 Wings are vendors on this site who make their own various mixes -- they are great! I buy their chop topper and dried flower mix for my birds. If shipping costs is prohibitive, it wouldnt hurt to see what they sell and see if theres anything similar where you live.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
I have bought Hagen Tropican pellets before and like the brand and found it to be reputable. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about their seeds.

Avian Organics and Things 4 Wings are vendors on this site who make their own various mixes -- they are great! I buy their chop topper and dried flower mix for my birds. If shipping costs is prohibitive, it wouldnt hurt to see what they sell and see if theres anything similar where you live.

I buy from Danita, Avian Organics, and the chop topper which I put on top of the littles food. Due to Ella being picky on the birdy bread for some reason hence the reason I buy from her. My son lives in Canada and I use to live there also, and know cost of shipping for real. :geek:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I buy from Danita, Avian Organics, and the chop topper which I put on top of the littles food. Due to Ella being picky on the birdy bread for some reason hence the reason I buy from her. My son lives in Canada and I use to live there also, and know cost of shipping for real. :geek:
Oops, didn't mean to direct my prior response to you :shy: Just wanted to second your comments as to how good it was and let @BirbyHouse know that they were North American based so not sure about ordering it for London.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Oops, didn't mean to direct my prior response to you :shy: Just wanted to second your comments as to how good it was and let @BirbyHouse know that they were North American based so not sure about ordering it for London.
No worries... I thought as much, but thought I would add. :D ;)

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all the replies :bounce4:
There aren't many bird websites/stores here. Only 3 main ones are known here.

Scarlett's
Northern Parrots
And Parrot essentials

We will give bird Bread a try, were going on a big bird shopping trip on Sunday:cheer:

Also, no new "breakthrough" foods have been found...

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thanks for all the replies :bounce4:
There aren't many bird websites/stores here. Only 3 main ones are known here.

Scarlett's
Northern Parrots
And Parrot essentials

We will give bird Bread a try, were going on a big bird shopping trip on Sunday:cheer:

Also, no new "breakthrough" foods have been found...
If you can’t find bird Bread mix, I use three bananas, a bit of flour(could be any sort of flour) and a bit of water. Then I mix in everthing and bake it:) Have fun shopping!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
I will also put in a plug for sprouting seeds. My Lovebirds were brought home from the breeder eating some baby lettuce mix along with pellets. I tried introducing various vegetables (I still haven't given up) but they did not like them and wouldn't touch them. They LOVE LOVE LOVE their seed, of course. So I started sprouting using a mixed sprouting mix. I find that my boys love the seed when it's just barely sprouted because it is more like seed than a vegetable. Anyway, I feel better about their nutrition eating something fresh and alive. I believe sprouted seeds are packed with nutrition.

BirbyHouse

Strolling the yard
I haven't posted for a while so...

Sprouting was a fail, I think if I'd left it any longer it would have gone mouldy.

I don't really have a variety of ingredients to be happy with bird bread.

So really, not much has happened...:shy:

I have seen the brand golden feast mentioned and have FINALLY found a supplier in the UK, what are the mixes, which could/should I feed and is goldenfeast thar good?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What size bird do you have? I but the Austrailian mix and the goldenolbes for small beaks I supplement calcium and vitamin. D