• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Kuiper ... coloration

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don’t know, but he’s gorgeous!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Know nothing about his parents. Looks like spangle coloration to me but then I'm far from an expert. I think he had a little bit when he was younger but the white coloration has increased.

I went back and looked at a photo I took when I first got him but it was taken from the front. However I can see a few white spots but not as obvious as they are now. The mirror behind him needed to be cleaned so some of the white spots are not on him but are on the mirror. There are white spots towards the front of the wing. The colors are off on him, too, and looks like he has some pink but he doesn't.

kuiper baby.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Monica. As far as I can tell his tail is solid. I'm looking at one of his molted tail feathers. I can't check him right now because he is sleeping. I got him when he was just a few months old. He didn't have all those white markings when he was young. I wish that I knew his parentage.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
In that first picture, he already has a clear face, so if he was a pearl, he would have molted out the majority of his pearls by the time you got him.

In that first photo you took of him, I see spots on his wings and back, as well as mottling on his tail feathers. Here's what I'm looking at in particular (and I realize that the mirror behind him is dirty, so I can't be entirely sure of one area)

Kuiper.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I got Kuiper he was a baby/juvenile and hadn't molted his tail feathers yet and he had the juvenile mottling/markings on the underside of his tail. Once he molted those tail feathers the new ones were solid and I checked those again this AM and and they are definitely solid. He is definitely showing more areas of white than he originally had. My vet had him for about one or two months, give or take, and he was never described as a pearl. Maybe he is a split pearl or ??? Don't know.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Monica Info from vet ... Kuiper is listed as a cinnamon pearl white face. That info was most probably given to vet by original caretaker. I got him when he was about 6-8 mos. old, not 100% sure. However his tail colors are solid so maybe he is a split to pearl or would there be no mottling because he is a white faced 'tiel? The white I am seeing on his back would be considered ghosting.
Not going to do this but am curious.....if he is a cinnamon split to pearl white faced or a cinnamon pearl white faced and he mated with my pearl pied white faced female what would be the results? Again, not planning on having them breed. Would they have white faced pearls with some split to pied??

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And would there be some split to cinnamon or visual cinnamon or ??

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I got him when he was about 6-8 mos. old, not 100% sure. However his tail colors are solid so maybe he is a split to pearl or would there be no mottling because he is a white faced 'tiel? The white I am seeing on his back would be considered ghosting.
If he's not visual pearl, then he's probably split pearl and yes, that would be "ghost" pearls. I would certainly love to see the underside of his tail feathers fanned out though! I had a normal male split pearl and he had quite faint 'ghost pearls'. I only knew he was split pearl because he had a pearl daughter and they came to me as a family.

if he is a cinnamon split to pearl white faced or a cinnamon pearl white faced and he mated with my pearl pied white faced female what would be the results?
He's probably Cinnamon Pearl Whiteface split Pied or Cinnamon Whiteface split Pearl Pied. Paired with a Whiteface Pearl Pied could result in various colored offspring. I'ma cheat here and use a calculator! Too early in the morning to calculate in head!

Using... Genetic Calculator 1.3 Cockatiels

1.0 Cinnamon whiteface pearl /pied x 0.1 Pied whiteface pearl
% from all 1.0

50.0% Pearl pied whiteface /cinnamon
50.0% Pearl whiteface /cinnamon pied
% from all 0.1
50.0% Pearl cinnamon pied whiteface
50.0% Pearl cinnamon whiteface /pied

1.0 Cinnamon whiteface /pearl pied x 0.1 Pied whiteface pearl
% from all 1.0

25.0% Pearl pied whiteface /cinnamon
25.0% Pearl whiteface /cinnamon pied
25.0% Pied whiteface /cinnamon pearl
25.0% Whiteface /cinnamon pearl pied
% from all 0.1
25.0% Cinnamon pied whiteface
25.0% Cinnamon whiteface /pied
25.0% Pearl cinnamon pied whiteface
25.0% pearl cinnamon whiteface /pied

In short, if he's a visual pearl and paired with a pearl hen, all offspring will be pearl. If he's split pearl, then you'll get some visual pearl offspring and some normal offspring. All will be whiteface. All females will be cinnamon. Some may be visual pieds, too.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all of the information @Monica. I don't see any kind of markings on his tail feathers. The underside looks solid to me. There is no way he will let me spread out those feathers. He is not that friendly or cooperative.
I don't think there is any pied in him but I have no info about his parentage and the only reference to coloration was from the vet records and that specified cinnamon white faced pearl. He was purchased from a breeder by the original caretaker as a companion for her 'tiel and when her 'tiel passed a few mos., or maybe it was even weeks, later she handed him over to the vet. Sad, IMO. Guess she just wanted the bird as a companion for the 'tiel and not as a companion or friend for herself or maybe having the 'tiel upset her. Have no idea. He was only a few months old when he was handed over.
I know that the female is white faced pearl pied. It was obvious she was pearl and white faced but when posted her photo you did indicate she was also pied. She does have pied markings but I missed that at first.
I attempted to use the calculator but wasn't sure what I was doing.
Who is in the photo you posted?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Right underneath his crest feathers are some white feathers. This *probably* means he's split pied.

Maybe his first owner just felt so sad at having lost their other tiel that they couldn't bare to have another. It is quite sad. :(

1.0 = male
0.1 = female

It can be rather confusing at first to use the calculator.

The bird in picture is Pistachio. He has sinced passed on though. His previous owners picked him and his mate up from an animal shelter in 1998, he passed in 2017. I don't know how old he was, but I'm sure he was probably in his 20's at least.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the loss of Pistachio.
Yes, there are white feathers on the top of his head beneath the crest. He has grey on the sides of his head that sort of look like lightning bolts on each side and then the white on top. I actually thought I should have named him "Flash". :)
He's a handsome guy, IMO.
I wasn't sure about the 1.0 and the .1 and some of the descriptions.
Callisto and Kuiper would probably have pretty babies but it's not going to happen.
I did read somewhere that the normal greys usually live longer and the ones with more mutations/different colorations have shorter lifespans.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wish I knew how old Pistachio and Tomi Girl were when they passed... Tomi Girl was a pied, had her for 11 years but wouldn't have been surprised if she was late teens or even twenties.

Casey, my first tiel, I've had since she was 5 months old. She'll be 18 this year and not slowing down! ;) She's a cinnamon pearl pied.

I honestly love the whiteface tiels! :heart:

What descriptions are confusing on the calculator? Maybe I can help out?

Or there's possibly an easier app on the app store of your phone that you could download? (if you have a smart phone - Android or Apple!)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My first 'tiel was a cinnamon, Smokey. I got him when he was 3 mos. old and he passed when he was 23 years old.
Post a photo of Casey when you get a chance.
For some reason when I input info on my birds I am getting the first results you listed but can't get the second set of results. I am going to check into the other app. Saw that on a cockatiel genetics site. Will download it onto my tablet if I have enough storage remaining.
My vet had about 5 'tiels up for adoption. Two white faced (the ones I adopted), two normal grey and a lutino. A few months later someone adopted the remaining three.

Never mind...I redid it and got both of the results you got.

Last edited: