• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dove? Cage size and other questions!

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hey everyone,
I’ve recently been thinking about getting a Dove. Well, rescuing one! I have a few questions that online research isn’t helping me answer....

What size cage do they need? And can I keep it in the same room as my Cockatiel? Would they be able to be out together? Separate cages of course!

Thanks!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
What species?
Diamond doves can be raised in very small cages but ideally should have room to fly - 30 x 18 is a good minimum.
Ringneck doves are a lot larger, but they can also be kept in the same size, as they're not as active. However, given space, they will use it.
Diamond doves are not very tameable, but ringnecks can become tame and affectionate if gotten at a young age.
My old ringneck was bonded with a female cockatiel, they preened and shared a cage.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
What species?
Diamond doves can be raised in very small cages but ideally should have room to fly - 30 x 18 is a good minimum.
Ringneck doves are a lot larger, but they can also be kept in the same size, as they're not as active. However, given space, they will use it.
Diamond doves are not very tameable, but ringnecks can become tame and affectionate if gotten at a young age.
My old ringneck was bonded with a female cockatiel, they preened and shared a cage.
Honestly, they didn’t say! All I know are they are white in colour. I would love to allow both birds out at once, after the new guy is quarantined and health checked of course!

Thank you for the information.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I have always loved doves and pigeons so much! I hope you find the answers to your questions, and you are so kind to do rescue.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
The biggest cage you can afford. If the dove will be in there most of the time, my doves, and pidge are are out all day,,as are the rest of my birds.. they only sleep in therye cages..

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
The biggest cage you can afford. If the dove will be in there most of the time, my doves, and pidge are are out all day,,as are the rest of my birds.. they only sleep in therye cages..
I plan to have the bird out as much as possible! Even eventually turn the room into a bird safe room, with cages for night time only.

What type of perches do they need? I heard flat ones. Is this true?

Serin

Large dowels are fine. They appreciate a ledge in the cage as well though, and a swing.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I plan to have the bird out as much as possible! Even eventually turn the room into a bird safe room, with cages for night time only.

What type of perches do they need? I heard flat ones. Is this true?
They love platforms. I also used very thick branches of 20 cm in diameter. I wouldn’t use dowels because that is not really healthy for their feet. It is okay to have one, as long as they don’t spend all their time on it. I prefer not to use them at all. I had a rescued takla pigeon for a while who lived in the aviary with my ducks untill he could move to his new home. He was very tame and if I walked by he would fly after me. I think inside he would love shelves on the Wall to play on.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks guys!

I love all the information everyone has. Love this forum!

VantCors

Strolling the yard
Sounds like it might be a 'garden dove', which means treat it like a homing pigeon :) I have had them indoors as well as outdoors, and I used a large parrot cage with platforms. I did have one (Bachu) at the same time as Spinnaker, but I don't remember having them out together much. They pretty much ignored each other though, even when Spinnaker was on Bachu's cage. I recently rehomed Bachu to a friend's lovely big aviary :) I do miss him though, as I rescued him as a week old chick. He was so handsome!

Serin

White doves are usually ringneck doves. These cannot be let out to fly outdoors, they have no homing instincts.

VantCors

Strolling the yard
White doves are usually ringneck doves. These cannot be let out to fly outdoors, they have no homing instincts.
True, I wasn't thinking of ringnecks. Just of how often 'garden doves' are thought of as true doves.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
This one will be indoors, with hopefully outdoor time with a harness, or outdoor cage!

I am just looking into where I can get proper platforms and perches near me in Ontario, Canada.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
You could make platforms yourself if you can’t Find any, you won’t even need SS hardware because your pigeon won’t be chewing it:lol:When I rescued Fidged, I had to come up with something quickly. I used Some old shelves as platforms.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
You could make platforms yourself if you can’t Find any, you won’t even need SS hardware because your pigeon won’t be chewing it:lol:When I rescued Fidged, I had to come up with something quickly. I used Some old shelves as platforms.
How did you secure them to the cage? I’m going to be using a large dog crate.