• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Yay or nay?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So, one of my closest friends is bird sitting a Senegal. She is not really a bird person, but he picked her to give him attention. He bites and screams according to her. He has been with them for almost 2 months, I am 99% sure he has a round cage and he is clipped. She also thinks my lovebirds ‘scream’ when they vocalize, and she can be a tad forceful so I think I can manage his problems. She is not a bad person but just very stubborn.
I would like to bird sit him for the remaining time, but there are Some problems.
First, quarantaine. Has he been adequatly quarentained with her? I would think so, but I am not sure and don’t want to jeapordize the health of my fids.
I could keep his cage(I Will probably let him live in my old cage, as that is bigger then his Own) in another room for when I am away. I don’t want to take the risk that my lovies sit on his cage and he bites their feet.
The last problem is them getting along. I do think I Will have to have him out with my lovies in order to give them all enough attention. Though, I could give him a different Shedule by codering him for sleep, so he can be up later. That could work too.
I don’t know if I should take him in or not, I do want to because Maybe I can give his owner a little bit of kind advice regarding toys and such, as he doesn’t have any. On the other hand, I don’t want to take him in and find out I can’t Handle an extra bird that needs seperate attention time. I am really torn!

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say pass. No need to borrow trouble!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You could loan your friend your cage until she's finished bird sitting and when the owner comes to pick him up, might think "wow, I like that bigger cage" and buy him one.

And you can always visit and bring toys you've made over for him. Show your friend how much better he is when he's not bored! And again, maybe when the owner will see the toys you send home with him and get the idea. :)

You don't have to bring him home to help him.

Bagpipes

Walking the driveway
Wouldn't a different cage cause him more stress since his parents are already absent for a while? Idk....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Funny. Everyone is kind of saying no. I say yes. You know your stuff, girlie, and you’re diligent. I think it’d be lovely for you to take care of him.

As far as quarantine, if the friend he’s with now doesn’t have any birds, you’re good to go.

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Do you need to bring the Sennie into your house? Could you help your friend pet sit at her house? Not sure where the Sennie is, but the moving around may be very stressful to the bird -- especially where he is not with his normal flock members.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Funny. Everyone is kind of saying no. I say yes. You know your stuff, girlie, and you’re diligent. I think it’d be lovely for you to take care of him.

As far as quarantine, if the friend he’s with now doesn’t have any birds, you’re good to go.
My concern is that she doesn’t know the bird’s history or what he’s been exposed to. :(

I’m also worried about how her mother would react to another bird, even temporarily. (Assuming that is still the living situation @TikiMyn?)

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
No opinion on what you should do, but wanted to chime in and say it is possible to have different bed/wakeup times.

A few of my birds stay up until 10pm and they don’t wake until 10am.

It can be done!

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You wrote that your friend is bird sitting so the Senegal is not hers. It's up to the people who that bird belongs to whether or not you can take over bird sitting. She would need to check with them first. May be stressful for the Senegal to go from her home to your home. It's probably already stressful that his/her parents are not around.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would not expect the Sennie to love your lovies. Seperattion & they have a poi beak which can do damage. Guess it can;t be worse than where he is & you can bring some light to a misunderstood bird. May be a challenge but may have its rewards...up to you to decide/
They like to be with there chosen one & seems like they have been left out...

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Sorry for my absence! But thank you all for the advice! I am not going to take him in, it would probably be a drama with a lot of stress for all the birds. But just to Clarify, I wasn’t planning on birdnapping him! His actual parronts knew he might move to another house, my friend is in a tough place right now and the trial against their mother is not going well and so on, and the bird added a lot of stress. Things are a little bit calmer now, and as I am sick anyway I can make a lot of toys for him!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I thought I would give a quick update, I have been pretty busy, but I do make toys Each week for the Senegal:D He is doing reasonably well, less screaming and biting when he has toys so that is good! Here is what I have for him the next few days, I was short on time so all paper except one: 6A4434FF-7808-4914-B19A-FC4D72E6A0C8.jpeg

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I found out more about his actual owner, I thought he was away on a holiday in Africa, but it turns out he is addicted to drugs and was trying to get rid of his addiction there, it didn’t help and now he is with his aunt and suicidal as well. I feel bad for him, and he told my friend he might not want his bird back. He really can’t stay with her, she told me she actually shook him because he was screaming. Not a good situation. If he tells them he really doesn’t want his bird anymore, I Will search for a new caretaker for him, and in the meanwhile he might stay with me I think.
If anyone has any advice should that happen, if is very welcome!

Last edited:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Oh wow, that's a bad situation for everyone involved :(

I don't have any good advice for adoption but I have a sennie, too. Luna's personality is so much different than my quaker; he is quieter and seemingly more thoughtful. He has slowly opened up since we brought him home at the end of September and loves to dance. He also loves chewing wood (he destroyed the cork bark perch I got him in less than 2 days!) and will forage and find all the treats I hide for him in his cage.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Oh wow, that's a bad situation for everyone involved :(

I don't have any good advice for adoption but I have a sennie, too. Luna's personality is so much different than my quaker; he is quieter and seemingly more thoughtful. He has slowly opened up since we brought him home at the end of September and loves to dance. He also loves chewing wood (he destroyed the cork bark perch I got him in less than 2 days!) and will forage and find all the treats I hide for him in his cage.
Ahw Luna is such a character!! From what I can tell right now I can tell he plays with anythig and adores chewing, talks and does a lot of whistles(he doesn’t even do parrot Squawks I think), the bites are because he is forced to do things, loves cuddles and eats anything that is offered to him. He sounds so amazing, I would take him in kn a heartbeat but eventually that might not be the best for him. That is why I would prefer searching for a home while he stays with my friend lol! No risk of keeping him! But the fact that she shook him shocked me, I didn’t expect that. There was also something else but she wouldn’t say that(another friend told me about the shaking while the three of us were talking). We Will see how it all plays out, Maybe his caretaker Will get back on track and can resume loving this little fellow.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I absolutely adore the Pois, especially the Sennies but they can run hot or cold as to who they like and may or may not get along with other birds in the house. If you are their person, they are very loyal to you but they may only like you and no one else. Not always but I think it's more typical than not with them. They are also the typical big bird in a small body. You wouldn't know until you tried. I've wanted a Senegal for a really long time but never got one because of the size difference between the medium sized birds I have and the size of a Sennie. I think they're fantastic birds otherwise.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I absolutely adore the Pois, especially the Sennies but they can run hot or cold as to who they like and may or may not get along with other birds in the house. If you are their person, they are very loyal to you but they may only like you and no one else. Not always but I think it's more typical than not with them. They are also the typical big bird in a small body. You wouldn't know until you tried. I've wanted a Senegal for a really long time but never got one because of the size difference between the medium sized birds I have and the size of a Sennie. I think they're fantastic birds otherwise.
Thank you! My mother is okay with having him in the house untill he is adopted, it Will be a bit stressfull for him and my birds but it’s better then staying in his situation I think. I don’t know if I Will let him meet my birds, but he is clipped so Maybe I Will make him a small movable stand he can’t Get off to be in my room. It is still not looking good with his original person. They seem like very headstrong birds, I hope he likes me at least a bit!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you decide to bring him home be sure to quarantine him from your other birds. My Senegal, Jake, is generally very sweet and friendly, although he has become a bit curmudgeonly (best word to describe him) now that he is older.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you! My mother is okay with having him in the house untill he is adopted, it Will be a bit stressfull for him and my birds but it’s better then staying in his situation I think. I don’t know if I Will let him meet my birds, but he is clipped so Maybe I Will make him a small movable stand he can’t Get off to be in my room. It is still not looking good with his original person. They seem like very headstrong birds, I hope he likes me at least a bit!
Whether he loves you or not, he will appreciate you and the kindness you show him. I would gauge your birds' reaction to him before you try the stand idea. Buzzard does not fly, but Luv Bug does. Despite the size difference, she sometimes tries to be near him. He squawks at her & she doesn't land on his playstand, thankfully, but I'd make sure your curious fids don't harass him. (Your sweet, innocent darlings? never! But just make sure. ;) )

:thinking:You could keep him near you in a large travel cage or have a smallish cage near where you sit so he can still be near even when he can't be out.