• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Weaning process

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Hi everyone.
Im very new here i recently got an african grey a week ago and i was told it was about 7 weeks so he /she should be about 8 weeks .the baby eats relatively good.i was told i had to feed it about 50cc 3 times a day but the baby doesnt want to eat 50cc all at once so i have asked the breeder of its okay to feed the baby at different intervals just as long as it gets its required formula amount and he said it was fine.but now i would like to start introducing fruits and veg.so please tell me how to do that and if i have to wait till the crop is completely empty and what temp should the veg or fruits be .

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@Monica knows a lot about hand feeding, I don’t I’m afraid! Good luck with your baby!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should be taking that bird back to the breeder to finish weaning it properly. Shame on them for selling you an unweaned baby when you have no knowledge or experience of how to handle it. 7 weeks is way too young to be ripped from its world and plopped into a strange new one. Your bird has "regressed" in technical terms.

Someone will be along to hopefully help out. Give this a read in the meantime. It will help you understand whats going on.

Weaning Sadie

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I don't have as much knowledge about bigger parrots and weaning, but 7 weeks is definitely too young! @melissasparrots has more knowledge than I do.

As far as feeding fresh foods, it can help to cut them into tiny pieces or some blocks and offer to your baby. Your grey may only play around with the food at first, which is okay. This play can eventually turn into actual eating.

I do agree with John in that breeders should not sell unweaned chicks.

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
I have tried to offer it boiled butternut and it loves it im jst worried about when to feed it with regards to its crop and if it should b at a certain temperature.overall the baby bird is happy exploring ,perching nd even trying to climb. I have also potty trained it and its almost perfect at going in the right spot.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I agree with the earlier replies. Can't the breeder take her back and feed her until she is properly weaned? She shouldn't be with you until she is six months old.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
This “breeder” is incredibly irresponsible. I’m glad your bird has someone who cares about him and is looking into solutions, but ideally that bird should have never been sold. I got my macaw as a rescue case and he regressed for a long time needing to be hand fed well beyond the “norm.” (He was hand fed with comfort feedings until he was about a year old to be exact) I found weighing daily helped to make sure he was getting enough to eat, as well as regular vet appointments to track his healing and growth. With this little ones history of being sold too young I would definitely recommend an avian vet appt as soon as you can. My macaw had a huge infection that you couldn’t see on the outside but he needed many meds to fix or he would have died. You just never know with birds and how well they hide it.

As for food, I found Bowser loved slightly warm mash. Sometimes it was apple and banana mash, sometimes sweet potato and black berry, just keep the variety up. His favorite is also bird bread. That really helped him get healthy early on because he took to it right away and I added either coconut oil or red palm oil.

I hope your baby does well and thrives.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I forgot to add...let the baby decide when it’s done with weaning. This breeder obviously doesn’t know proper care for parrots and I wouldn’t listen to their advice. An avian vet can go over all of this in more depth. I have to slightly disagree with the advice to give the parrot back to the breeder if only because they don’t sound like a quality person who should have this bird in their care. But I’m cynical because my macaws breeder was just an awful person and I wouldn’t have taken a million dollars to give him back. I think the most important thing is education. Spend a good amount of time discussing this with your vet and you’ll get he hang of it. My vet spent hours talking to me on the phone about Bowser and that’s what they’re there for.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I have also potty trained it and its almost perfect at going in the right spot.
Please stop doing that! That is not healthy for them. Birds poop, just get used to it!
now i would like to start introducing fruits and veg.so please tell me how to do that and if i have to wait till the crop is completely empty
First feed the baby what he needs first and that is not fruit and veggies at the moment. Fruit and veggies should just be offered in small amounts.
This baby needs to be hand feed for at least 12-16 weeks.
i was told it was about 7 weeks so he /she should be about 8 weeks
Can you post a pic of your baby?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi everyone.
Im very new here i recently got an african grey a week ago and i was told it was about 7 weeks so he /she should be about 8 weeks .the baby eats relatively good.i was told i had to feed it about 50cc 3 times a day but the baby doesnt want to eat 50cc all at once so i have asked the breeder of its okay to feed the baby at different intervals just as long as it gets its required formula amount and he said it was fine.but now i would like to start introducing fruits and veg.so please tell me how to do that and if i have to wait till the crop is completely empty and what temp should the veg or fruits be .
How much does the baby weigh when it's empty in the morning? That can give you a rough guideline as to how much to feed. Personally, I'd echo John's statement to send the baby back to the breeder and have them finish the job they started.

I've never weaned an african grey so I can only give very basic advice. If you don't know how much it weighs, you need to get a scale. It must be a gram scale, ounces aren't good enough. First thing tomorrow, go get a scale. You might be able to find one at walmart, but postage scales from office supply places are good too. Weigh the baby when its empty every morning. At this age, your baby might be in the weight loss phase. Which often means they don't want much food. You'll have to do some research on your own to see when african greys normally hit their peak weight. I know my similar sized amazons usually hit it at about 45 days old, but greys could be significantly different. If your baby is past the age where it would normally hit its peak weight, then it would be normal for it to want less food abut now. I'd feed it 3-4 times a day giving it about 8-12% of its body weight at each feed. So a 500 gram baby would be getting about 50g of food give or take a little bit. Feed it until it doesn't want any more but don't go over 12% of its body weight and many babies that age won't take over 10% and many less. Don't harass and sweet talk the baby trying to get the full 50cc into it. If it doesn't want it, it doesn't want it. However, do make sure your formula isn't getting cool while you attempt to hand-feed. Put the syringe or bowl of formula in a warm water bath at about 110 degrees so it doesn't get cold if it takes you more than a couple minutes to feed the chick. Best to just decrease length of time between feeds and offer more often. During the day, feed when the baby is almost empty-I usually feed them when their crop is abut 10-20% full from the previous meal. Let the baby empty at night. If the baby doesn't empty somewhere between 7 and 9 hours without feeding, then you'll need to take it to the vet to make sure it doesn't have a bacterial infection. Generally, I try to make sure they are never empty during the day and only empty for an hour or two at night so I can sleep and so their crop can empty out and prevent bacterial build up.

Now, if in fact your baby is in post peak weight loss phase, and starts generally acting uninterested in food, then you might start waiting until its crop is empty to see if that helps motivate it. I don't usually go by a certain number of feeds or a certain amount fed for babies at this age. They are usually pretty determined to drop weight, so I feed them when they are hungry as much as I can get into them without going over the 8-12% of their body weight rule in order to prevent over stretching their crop. I also make sure they empty at night at the very least.

For weaning, at this age, you can start scattering some pellets around the floor of the brooder or put a small bowl on the bottom of the cage. Hopefully if you've put it in a cage already its one low to the ground and the baby will spend most of its time on the cage floor or a very low perch. Please don't try putting a young baby in a big cage where it can climb to the top, lose its balance, fall and split open its keel on the cage grate. Not cool. Also, with smaller, lower cages, keeping food on the floor means the baby will almost always have contact with food to nibble. You can also try some microwaved sweet potatoes cooked until soft and mixed with cooked rice, beans and quinoa. Offer warm in a bowl and remove it after a couple of hours. Don't get the canned beans because it is full of sodium. Soak and cook the beans and rice until soft and feed at hand-feeding temperature. Until the baby has been flying for a few weeks, you probably won't make much progress on weaning. Most likely the baby will just learn about food by crunching it up and smearing it all over the place. Hopefully no one has clipped this baby's flight feathers already as that will delay everything.

From that point, I just offer as many hand-feeds as the chick will take. I don't follow any hard rule about number of feeds through weaning as it changes daily. I usually maintain on 3-4 feeds a day until the chick gets difficult to persuade to take enough worth bothering with on one or more feeds and then I experiment with eliminating that feeding and proceed according to the chicks behavior. One day the baby might only chug two feeds and spit and dribble the third all over the place. The next day it cries pitifully and wants 4 feeds. I just go with the flow until the baby consistently refuses to take a feeding for a full week or more before I stop offering it. I would guess most congo greys are not likely to be fully weaned until somewhere around 4 months old give or take a few weeks and possibly extending another month or two depending on how skilled you are at getting the baby to eat grown up food without stressing it out. Eating adult food should be a natural process where the chick discovers it on its own. For the most part, you should not be chasing the baby around with pellets or spoon fulls of veggies trying to get it to eat adult food because doing so means the chick may take forever to figure out it has to eat on its own. Make sure it has plenty of time in its cage between meals to eat. The chick will be most likely to eat adult food immediately after a hand-feeding. So, that is not a time to carry the baby around and play with it. Feed, put back in cage with a new batch of warm veggies and pellets and then walk away. Don't stand there staring at the baby willing it to eat. Leave and let the chick discover that it can eat on its own.

In the end, weaning babies can be complicated to do it right without causing your bird to become a neurotic mess. When in doubt, return baby to breeder and tell them to give you the finished product when done.

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Thanks for the help guys but the breeder will surely refuse and probably come up with the assumption that im giving him back a sick bird .im from south africa things and people are abit different here.i wil make sure to get a scale because he never mentioned anything about a scale. I will attach a picture so that you guys can tell me if the age may be right.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Leshika, the temperature should be ~ 108°f, at least that's what the vet and breeder told me with dexter. No higher, maybe 3° less at most. any higher, and you may accidentally injure your baby. I don't know about greys, but your bird looks older than 8 weeks to me. When I got dexter at 8 weeks, he was still covered in pin feathers and was no where near the age where he starts loosing weight.

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Oh gosh i hope someone will know how old he is because when i went to get him he would stand out because he looked different with more feathers than the rest. He is the one with the marking on the head.this is before i got him.

Attachments

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
We were under the assumption that maybe he hatched first.and another thing whenever i speak to him and say words like" hello or hello my baby" he always acts strange and opens his mouth really wide and lets out a few vocals.should i stop talking to him?

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
We were under the assumption that maybe he hatched first.and another thing whenever i speak to him and say words like" hello or hello my baby" he always acts strange and opens his mouth really wide and lets out a few vocals.should i stop talking to him?
No. To me, it sounds like a happy response or maybe a begging vocalization. not Negative at all