• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Vet wrapping perches

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I do because I have fids with arthritis, gout, missing toes and splayed legs so any type of assistance in gripping and holding on helps. More so in the travel cages I use when going to the vet or bird groomer.

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Okay. I was wondering if it was something I should be doing

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I just vet wrapped an emery board style perch as it caused a sore that turned into a crack. It is too rough on her feet. I will be replacing it with wood but figure for the short term a soft perch might be good.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Okay. I was wondering if it was something I should be doing
It depends entirely on your flock's physical abilities. I have several physically handicapped (footwise) bird, others that have inflammatory joint issues, some runts who are just smaller and not as strong.

I have three tiels that have physical problems. Peeps I accidentally stepped on and broke a wing, a leg and punctured an air sac. Chickpea was injured and has a foot which atropied even after hospital and treatment. Baldie is runt who has survived (after going to a new home and coming back injured) but also had an atrophied foot due to muscle damage. They can all move around by themselves but the vet wrap gives them that little edge on gripping perches or shelf perches.

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Forgot to mention but the handicapped fids like the rope perches, wood or cork platforms and the platform perches (the last of which I've wrapped).

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I wrapped Sweet Pea's perches for better grip for her funky toes. it also a great way to keep rope perches cleaner .