• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New user with greys

Garfield

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Garfield
Hello new user with greys

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Garfield

Real Name
Garfield
Thank you, I have an african grey 18 years old and just started to bite his wings to the point of bleeding. Wondering if anyone has any advice.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Welcome! How many greys? Names? Would love to see pics!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you, I have an african grey 18 years old and just started to bite his wings to the point of bleeding. Wondering if anyone has any advice.
Hi and welcome to AA :) I used to have a self mutilator (sadly he passed away) and as far as I know there is no collar that can prevent mutilation of wings. Have you taken him to an Avian vet? If not I highly recommend it. While mutilating can be a behavioral issue, it can also be an intention that something is physically wrong with your Grey.

Also can you please tell us a little more information about your Grey? Like his background? How long have you had him? All 18 years? Or has he had multiple homes? And you think on any changes in his life around when the biting of his wing started?

I wish you the best of luck with your Greys. Self mutilation can be a real tricky thing to manage. It's heartbreaking I know for personal experience. But self mutilators can still live happy lives.

Garfield

Real Name
Garfield
Hi there thank you for the reply. I have had cleo since he was 6 years old and he was a rescue. He had feathers missing when we braught him home.we see a avian vet in calgary ab who is very experienced. He was diagnosed with plaque building up in the arteries, he is like someone wo has a itch and cant get deep enough to get relief. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this with their grey, thanks

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Smbrds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Shawn
:welcome2:to you and your greys! It's great that you've had each other for those years and that he's also seeing a vet for medical concerns regarding his plucking. Sometimes not knowing full background or past events, the trigger of behaviors sometimes, sadly. Greys are very sensitive and intelligent parrots...and like Sarahmoluccan mentioned, has anything changed in his life awhile ago? What's his diet like? What foods does he eat? I too believe self-mutilators can live happy lives, many also wear birdy designer "pluck vests." With the information on AA and sources, and working in conjunction with your vet, no doubt that a happy life can be sustained all around.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't have any experience with self mutilators. I would be working with your avian vet to get it under control by treating the cause (if it is atherosclerosis is he on meds for it?) and try to prevent him from causing wounds or making them worse.