• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Check out the craftsmanship

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Blu is doing an amazing job with his building project. :) I imagine he would be upset if you tried to stop him from building. Ralph is not nearly so industrious; he just likes to arrange and rearrange the thin dowels I give him to build with. If I put in more of them than he wants, he'll push some out onto the floor. After he arranges a few dowels the way he wants them, he'll squawk for me to come and take them apart so he can start over.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Blu is doing an amazing job with his building project. :) I imagine he would be upset if you tried to stop him from building. Ralph is not nearly so industrious; he just likes to arrange and rearrange the thin dowels I give him to build with. If I put in more of them than he wants, he'll push some out onto the floor. After he arranges a few dowels the way he wants them, he'll squawk for me to come and take them apart so he can start over.
Thank you! That's so cute about Ralph! Reminds me of my late Quaker, Melvin. He would rearrange a couple of q tips or sticks but never anything as elaborate as what Blu does.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
His creations make me what to play too.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Ooh, are you able to discern different "rooms" in Blu's architecture? That is so cool :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Ooh, are you able to discern different "rooms" in Blu's architecture? That is so cool :)
So far, it looks to me like where he is sitting (wet) is one room. Then in the back of the structure, where you can't see, is where he gets hormonal (talks , chirps super loud, and sometimes rugurgitates) is I guess another room. I am not allowed in the back room! Lol. So I'd say there's 2 rooms but only the 3 walls, so far.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Something interesting I've noticed is that he likes to keep the similar straws close together. Like all neons together, all little brown coffee stirs close together, all white and red coffee stirs close together etc. It's not an absolute rule but he tries.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Something interesting I've noticed is that he likes to keep the similar straws close together. Like all neons together, all little brown coffee stirs close together, all white and red coffee stirs close together etc. It's not an absolute rule but he tries.
Interesting! I noticed that in his building but I just assumed it was based on the timing of his supply source :reading:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I usually give him stirs and straws every morning so he has the option to use either or and he still tries to color coordinate:)
Everybody knows a good interior decorator makes sure things coordinate or contrast properly.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
This thing is really coming along!
A masterpiece, if I may say so myself!

And he's been so sweet this week that I was actually able to photograph it without being lunged at.:joyful:

20180327_103204.jpg

Just to show you the thickness of the walls. It's probably like 4 - 5 inches thick!
20180327_103212.jpg

This is the front view

20180327_103225.jpg

And interestingly enough, this morning's email from Bird talk magazine had a wild Quakers nest in it. Amazing how similar it looks

file.jpg

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love it!

And it's so interesting that he's preserving the room structure used by wild/feral Quakers.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The Quakers' weaving is very impressive. Amazing what Blu and the others have created.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I love it!

And it's so interesting that he's preserving the room structure used by wild/feral Quakers.
Yes, I am quite amazed at how he instinctively knows how it's supposed to be built!

He actually rearranged it a little this week. Last week the roof was a little different (note the angry lunge for getting too close :lol:)
20180319_085530.jpg

It was a little too loosely weaved, I guess. So the other day he actually took apart like 20% of the top, and he's redone it all already.

I thought it looked neater before but he obviously knows what he's doing so I'm just letting him do his thing. He is the owner of his own construction company :)

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Good job Blu

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Holey Moley!
That is amazing!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He's doing what comes naturally and seems to be having a ball too! A busy beak is a happy beak.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
2 out of my 7 Quakers ,sort of build, actually they are weavers,Sweetpea uses parts from his toys and builds on top of his cage and the back and sides. Jake weaves just with sisal rope.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I finally took the masterpiece down today.
:sorrow:

It had gotten really sloppy looking, and he seemed to have stopped working on it (his latest project is hanging from a sheet and chewing up the wood cabinet:nanana:)

I was worried about him getting upset about me ruining it and him losing his "nest". But he was so good! He just watched me, sitting quietly, and ate. Didn't even try to attack me. His cage looks so much cleaner and better now!

I will leave building supplies for him tomorrow so he can start a new one if or when he chooses.

As a tribute to the masterpiece I would like to share a couple of cute pics I got of him in it, before it got all sloppy looking

20180407_113133.jpg
20180407_113137.jpg