• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Introducing them

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Birdy and Skittles have been side by side in their cages for about a week now. I decided to let them out together two times so far, it was both stressful and somewhat funny. Here's basically how it goes: Birdy is like " What does that brat think he's doing here" as he stares at Skittles with resentment and dives at him swinging his beak at him. Skittles tries to be friendly but is scared away. Later on Skittles decides to indeed be a little brat as he tries to play the harmless baby with me then sneaks over to Birdy's tail and bites it. Resulting in Skittles quickly retreating to me as Birdy chases him away. Birdy decides to take the role as big meanie and pushes Skittles off the play gym over and over again. He watches with satisfaction as Skittles flutters down (his wings are clipped from breeder).

It's comical to see them taking those roles but I know I have to keep vigilant for both of their safety. It's totally understandable that Birdy doesn't like Skittles right now (or ever).

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good luck with your two little handfuls. I hope they work it out and become friends. :)

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
They’re just like kids! I have a pair that crack me up how they fight over their swing. They’ll both be on it and one will be biting the other on the back of the neck to get off, while the other has him by the foot biting him to get off.

They’re longtime cage mates, so they’re not trying to hurt each other, just trying to get their own way. lol

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Birdy is starting to be a little more patient with Skittles now. He also knows what be nice means so that helps. Of course Skittles would be more then happy to be friends.

It's sad. BBB (budgie) has always wanted to be friends with Birdy but instead got one of his toes bitten. Despite that he still is friendly. Today he flew over to Skittles cage and really wanted to greet him, Skittles was curious and showed no signs of aggression. I guess where I'm going with this is that should I let BBB and Skittles interact with each other? Or would that be more trouble then it's worth?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How are they doing?