• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How to use up Conure's pent up energy (tire him out)

Tamzine

Meeting neighbors
OK so, my green cheek conure is being pretty hormonal. not in an aggressive way, he (or she) has always been aggressive and territorial, but now he spends his time at the bottom of the cage swaying his head back and forth or making regurgitating bobbing movements (usually with a piece of paper or nut in his mouth) and shredding up paper like crazy.

Now OUTSIDE the cage he usually is attached to my shoulder, likes head rubs and cuddling and is super interested in treats. Now he just finds a hole,corner/something soft like pillows to try and get into or something, exhibiting the same behavior as in his cage corner. I try distracting him with treats and singing talking more excited than usual...nothing he is not interested. if I scoop him away he will just fly back. (he is not even interested in safflower seeds HIS FAV! :o:)

I will note that I hadn't let him out of the cage for a couple of weeks due to my exams (I know judge me all you want) and that's when I noticed the change. I'm getting desperate, I need to use up his pent up energy, is it okay to force him to fly around the house until he is tired? or is it too stressful? I cant make it a very fun experience because he is not interested in my attention or treats...

Please tell me if you have any experience with this. I could post a video of this maybe 'nesting' behavior if it helps.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Start recall training with him. Get a perch, let him step on the perch and while he eats his reward(sunflower seed, millet? Make sure it is not available at other times then training) walk a couple meters away(start with 1 or 2 meters), and call him. Your attention Will be enough reward. Keep increasing the distance, start doing recall by the stairs and around corners too. Also, does he forage? That can keep his mind engaged. Does he play with his toys? Giving him morgen rope like toys and hanging toys in the middle of his cage and not near a perch Will make him exersise more too. Giving him 12 hours of sleep might help too.
Good luck and keep us updated!(also, what’s the name of your baby?)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Once a hormone “cycle” begins it must run its course. You can’t stop it. It is a biological function. You can try and "minimize" their effects so they don't last longer than they need to but that's about all. Hormones can last anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks.

You learn to ride it out and adjust until it's over. The best therapy for you bird is to fly fly fly.

Some stuff you can read

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Hormonal Behavior in Pet Birds - Introduction — For The Birds DVM — Avian Vet

Tamzine

Meeting neighbors
My conure's name is Dino ^-^

Those sites were very helpful thank you so much! They are very informative. So I am removing the magazines from the bottom of the cage now I had gave him cardboard tubes and stuff on purpose because I thought it would be a good toy that he actually plays with, I guess that was not a good idea hmm. and I will get him to forage by hiding his food in toys more thanks tikimyn, that should keep him busy longer. Ill cover his favourite 'cavity' spots he or she (Im starting to think shes a she) try and climb into with things he is afraid of to keep his attention away too.
I really want to teach him recall and ill try that for this week, hopefully I can keep his attention. maybe early morning before breakfast.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Exactly what I was going to write. Birds expend most energy flying. Give him fun reasons to fly like something new hanging from the ceiling.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Try offering him a nice bath. Most conures love baths and it's a great way to use up extra energy.. for a little while anyway.

But also, you might want to cut back on any rich high calorie foods he's getting. It may make him less hormonal, and should at least help get him more interested in training treats.

Tamzine

Meeting neighbors
ouou new parrot toy came in the mail ^-^ woo (new toys are always so exciting). I think this is my favourite foraging toy. I filled his cage with distractions wow such a colourful house now hehe. tonight Ill remove all his food before bed so in the morning he will be super interested in food and treats, Ill get his attention now mwaha. Thanks for all the suggestions:thanks:

28461703_1595083703860310_1836637548_o.png 28460223_1595083700526977_2049228683_o.png 28503713_1595083757193638_358790972_o.png