• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crimson rosella, help

Tanya Farrell

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tanya
Hello I'm all new to this, me and my beautiful rio have been together for three weeks, i have done a bit if research on him but looking for more information, he cant talk and isn't tamed but hope we will in time, he has different sound so is this him trying to tell me something ?, would it be a good idea to open the cage door and see if he will come to me?. If you have any little information of crimson and would like to share, we would love to hear it thank you.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome to the avenue!
I don’t know of any rosella’s that talk, I hope this is not your main reason for having him?
Taning is very possible, start with putting a treat in a bowl every time you walk by and enter/exit the room he is in. I would look into clicker training and target training(you can find advice about that in the ‘training court’).
Is he scared of you? If he is scared, I would not let him out yet. It is possible he Will go back in his cage himself, but if not you Will have to grab him and that Will not benefit your relationship with him.
Don’t force him and be around him. Read to him(on a distance where he is comfortable) if you like, and talk to him.
Good luck and keep us updated!

Tanya Farrell

Real Name
Tanya
Yes I hear they dont talk but i hear there wisper, no didnt get him so he can talk, i woundnt say his scared of me, rio watches me i can change his water and food and he wont move but sometimes he flys away (guessing when I do something new) thank you for your information, every little helps.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yes I hear they dont talk but i hear there wisper, no didnt get him so he can talk, i woundnt say his scared of me, rio watches me i can change his water and food and he wont move but sometimes he flys away (guessing when I do something new) thank you for your information, every little helps.
Okay that really good to hear! I think you can let him out at this point, to be safe remove his food dish, open the door and see what he does. An hour or two later out his food dish back in with food in it, he Will most likely go to eat(it’s easiest to do this before his general meal times:)
What do you feed him? It can be reallt hard to get parrots to eat fruit and veggies, but with persistance most Will try at least. I have had great succes with orange veggies like carrot, pumpkin and sweet potato. I make a ‘chop’ for my birds, I buy a lot of different veggies like broccoli, peppers, Coconuts, pears etc., cut them in small pieces and freeze it. That way they have a good selection of veggies Each day.
Pellets are also good, and sprouts(sprouted seeds, in the sub forum about food there is a thread about how to sprout seeds:) can be a wonderful addition to the diet as well. Beans and grains are very good as well(You can sprout these too!:D)
I would personally feed a rosella seed as well, but I would try to get the best quality seed there is or make my Own seed mix. I like to have a seed mix with a lot of different ingredients and no sunflower seeds(they are not harmfull in small amounts, actually they contain healthy nutrutients. I use them for training)
Does he have toys? Toys are amazing to keep our little friends busy, I don’t have rosella experience, but I would try things to shred(paper, cardboard, Palm leaf materials), soft things to chew(sola wood, balsa wood, maghony wood, Cork), things to chew(basswood for example), toys with Bells, toys he can preen, and natural toys like branches with the leaves still on(from safe trees). Those make wonderful perches too that are very healthy for their feet. You could also try giving him an untreated basket to chew.
Foraging(searching for food) is a very good way to keep their minds busy, rosella’s are ground foragers, so I would try to start with something that is natural for Rio. That can be a grass mat with a few seeds sprinkled over it(do watch him at first to make sure he doesn’t chew it). You could also cover his food dish with paper(show him you cover it, and poke a lot of holes in it in the beginning, if doesn’t understand it yet, cover half the food dish first and gradually cover more) he has to chew through.
Also, I would make sure he doesn’t have acces to millet or sunflower seeds. You can give those to him when you walk by, and soon he Will associate you with a tasty, rare treat!
Do please post Some pictures of Rio if you have them!:p We love pictures!:roflmao:

Tanya Farrell

Real Name
Tanya
Roi has differwnt toys from ladder bells mirror and chew toys, for food he has seeds and dry fruit also at times i give him fresh veg and milliet

Attachments

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
G'day and Welcome...Rio is a handsome chap...we have two - an Eastern and a Western, (Stanley) rosellas...Rosellas don't talk, but our Eastern R., 'Charlie', does whistle "Pop goes the weasel".
As, far as food - they love veggies, fruit, the best quality seed you can find, mealworms, sprouts, millet sprays, greens, cuttlefish and they love nectar flowers - grevilia and bottlebrush.
Toys - any safe wood for them to chew...we are fortunate over here to have natural perches available from our bottlebrush trees.
Taming - Rosellas do not take to being 'tame', as would a budgie, or IRN...even hand raised ones revert back to being like an aviary bred bird.
Hope to see more photos of 'Rio'.