• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pak-o-bird irony

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Ive been on the hunt for a 2nd hand pak-o-bird for a while. I couldn't justify spending $380 Aus without ever seeing one.

A lady advertised her eckie with all its belongings including the pakobird. I messaged her asking if she could sell seperatly. Never heard a thing and randomly got a message back. I was thrilled.

On pick up i found out that she had to rehome her eckie of 9 years as they were travelling around Australia. It made me sad that the little guy had to be rehomed....while i was buying the pakobird to travel around Australia with my guy one day. I felt this was a little ironic as these had been her plans only 4months ago from the purchase receipt.

Anyway, mixed feelings now. Pack looks amazing. Has anyone got one? How do you find using it. Tips?

Im going to order the dripless water bottle for hikes. Also looking at a detachable harness/lead of some kind. Hes flighted and loves being out on shoulder normally. Just not convenient for accessing everywhere in community. So pakobird for those times or if winds too strong etc.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Aw, man.... That is so sad. :( Poor ekkie...

That is awesome that you plan to travel with your bird! It is certainly a dream of mine! I do not have a pak-o-bird yet, but it is on my wish list! :D

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have one for my amazon and go on hour plus long himes in the woods around our home. He loves it!
I make sure to put in his favorite dry mix which keeps him happy.

The drip bottle is a wonderful idea, let me know if you try it. Water is a problem..I’ve been filling mine (bowl) very low and also hanging wet fruit likes oranges.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
We love our pak-o-birds... bought one new, the other stumbled across used. They are worth the money if you're going to use it a lot!! Being lightweight is definitely a plus. Go for the stainless mesh - it will hold up much better.

Make sure you acclimate your bird to using the water bottle before assuming he'll use it... if he will, definitely better than the little bowls that just splash/spill.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@ode.to.parrots Yeah it was. I kinda didn't know what to say. My hubby thinks im the crazy bird lady though. But echo just reminds me of a two year old with feathers. Couldn't bare to leave him at home or in care of someone else. Not when he enjoys travel so much and is on his best behaviour.

@WallyLoopey Will do! Getting sent out next week. Hopefully he picks it up quick. He likes to lick up the drips of water from shower perch so might be an easy transition. But guess you never know.

@EkkieLuv Oh we already picked it up....and it has the mesh thankfully. Oh of course about water bottle. Actually thinking that if he likes it, ill get one for his cage. Im a little tired of echo washing his toys in the water bowl. Lol
20180223_190437.jpg

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Polo loves his...just be careful about using bottles long term as they can accumulate algae easily!

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
[USER=9467 said:
@EkkieLuv[/USER] Oh we already picked it up....and it has the mesh thankfully. Oh of course about water bottle. Actually thinking that if he likes it, ill get one for his cage. Im a little tired of echo washing his toys in the water bowl. Lol
View attachment 270606
HAHA!! Yes they love to dunk toys and foot and whatever they can find in their water bowls. Mine inevitably also dive into their bowls to bathe and make a huge mess...... but I consider it enrichment - for the most part. LOL Having the bottle in his cage, though, will guarantee he always has a clean water supply. Just be sure to wash it out well and regularly! Mine really wouldn't ever drink from one but I may try again. What kind did you get?

Congrats on the pak-o-bird investment! You'll love it!

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@EkkieLuv

I'll send u pic and name when it arrives. Its available in 300ml for pak o bird and 600 ml.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
We went out in harness and as i needed to get some things from shops we put Echo into the pak o bird.

He did so well! I made sure i stayed close. We put him in trolly so that it wasnt as bumpy. Everytime i put my head close and whispered good boy i got little coos from him.

When we got home i let him out. He flew around then back inside it. Guess he likes it lol After half hour had to put pack away as it was getting too much attention and was going to get chewed.

Such an adaptable little green man :D

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@EkkieLuv

Arrived today! Yay!!

It leaks from around edge but a little plumbers tape should fix that. I also took off one of the clips on spring and attached one end directly to get get a more snug fit.... and so i dont loose the spring. Hehe Definitely not something to use everyday in a cage like i originally thought. But will be great for the pak o bird
:bounce6:

Now to teach him to use it. 20180307_102114.jpg
20180307_102137.jpg
20180307_102325.jpg