• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I think Kanji broke his wing

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
Hi everyone. Its been a while since Ive visited this site, but I could use some advice. I went into my room to go to bed, I found a pile of feathers and some blood in Kanji's cage:crycry:

I took a look at him, and it doesn't seem like he has any blood feathers growing in, but I did feel a little bump on his wing. He isn't making any noise, even when I was looking at his wings, and he didn't seem to have any problem moving it to preen and floof. But that bump has me pretty worried.

I pulled almost everything out of his cage, leaving only his food and water dishes with a perch and ladder to get to it, and his favorite sleeping platform. I will be keeping an eye on him overnight and plan on calling the vet first thing in the morning. Is there anything else I should do in the meantime?

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you take a picture of the bump or give us a better idea of where it is?

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
There really isn't an easy way for me to get a picture of it, but it's about a half of an inch past the joint(below the elbow?)

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you sure it's not symmetrical with the other wing? There are actually several bony protrusions that are normal.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope he’s okay, and that it’s nothing serious!

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
Are you sure it's not symmetrical with the other wing? There are actually several bony protrusions that are normal.
I didn't feel anything on the other side, but I hope that's all it is. The vet opens in a half hour, hopefully they can squeeze him in early.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I ended up having the same thing happen with Ollie and it did end up just being a bony protrusion. I hope it ends up being the same thing for Kanji!

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
Thanks! My regular vet is out of town and can't see him until late tomorrow, so now I need to decide if I need to try to find another option. I've been sitting here watching him, and he doesn't seem to be in any pain, he's actually preening his hurt wing quite a bit. He seems to have full movement, so I'm not as worried as I was last night, but I still want to have him checked out.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
As long as Kanji isn't in any pain and has full movement, I'd keep monitoring him, then get him checked out when you can....

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is Kanji?

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
I almost forgot to post an update. The vet said no real injuries, his wing is just a bit tender from hitting it so much. most of his comfort issues are probably due to having lost 6 primary flight feathers at once. He feels unbalanced and abnormal, so he's treating that wing different until he adjusts. I honestly never considered that he just felt weird. I'm definitely glad that I took him in, he means too much to me to take any risks with his health.

But he does seem really grumpy that he can't just fly everywhere he wants right now. I still have his cage pretty empty for a few more days, just to make sure he spends more time resting. Thanks for the support from everyone!

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Happy to hear he is Ok - maybe he had a night fright? My tiels often lose several flight feathers during their night frights.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
That is good news!

When Titan molted, he would lose his beloved tail feathers and be completely bummed out until new ones grew back in!

IRNs are very vain about their tail...;)

The Janitor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tom
Happy to hear he is Ok - maybe he had a night fright? My tiels often lose several flight feathers during their night frights.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. He's had a few, but the severity of this one had me worried. Loosing 14 total feathers, plus bleeding, then the way he was adjusting his wing. It was definitely and overreaction on my part to immediately start fearing a broken wing, but my brain is wired to find the worst possible outcome of any situation.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It was definitely and overreaction
I don't think so...ANY situation where there is active bleeding going on with a bird can and should be considered an emergency situation...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Kanji broke multiple blood feathers and hurt himself. Kuiper has gone through a few night frights and day frights and broken lots of blood feathers. He's not himself for a few days afterwards. Probably hurting and also the fact that he gets stressed because I've had to pull broken feathers and sometimes apply pressure and Kwik Stop to stop the bleeding.