• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Activity in Ringnecks

My birb

Meeting neighbors
-My bird since the day I’ve got him has always been inactive accept when playing with his toys in his cage like a mirror. His wings were clipped as a baby and they don’t grow i guess because the molt season isn’t here yet. Are there ways to make him more active he gets enough nutrients for his feathers to have a rich color.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He looks like a cutie. :)

How old is he? How much daily interaction do you have with him? Does he have a chance to get out of his cage during the day...and for how long? What's his diet like? How's his overall health?
IRNs are intelligent, inquisitive birds...they do like to explore their world, if given a chance. I don't like mirrors in cages, though.

Most importantly, what's your little guy's name? :)

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@cassiesdad let me first start off by saying his name is phoenix. He is about one year old and he was 2 months old when we got him. Each day he gets about 3 hours of daily interaction and outside of his cage time. But when he’s with me he just wants too fall asleep with me or just cuddle. His diet consists of pellets with vitamin drops in his water. He gets millet spray every other day while teaching him tricks. And he gets fruits about once a week. Should i give him more fruits? He shows little interest in them as when i give it to him he just licks them.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Phoenix. :)

Sounds like you're doing well with him. I know in a perfect world he could spend all his time outside his cage, but that's not possible. You supply him with toys, which is great...does he have shredding type toys...something he can get his beak into and destroy? Titan loved those type of things...he could go to town on them and make a huge mess!

IRNs aren't really known to be cuddlers...so it sounds like you have a very special bird in Phoenix...an affectionate IRN! Enjoy!

Titan, our Ringneck, also had a base diet of pellets. We offered rice, pasta, and veggies also. He was not much into fruits, like your Phoenix. May I suggest you try some different types of veggies with him? Titan ate corn, carrots, squash, pumpkin, green beans, and even peas. We also gave him green and red sweet peppers, which all of our birds love.

Titan would have a hard molt once yearly...usually in March or early April. He'd end up with bald spots...and lose his beloved tail feathers. :( When his feathers grew back, hormone season began. He would try to feed your toes...he'd rip your socks just to get to them. He was one determined bird when "silly season" came.

Those are just a few things about Titan. I know every bird is unique, so you'll have to find out Phoenix's traits, as you have been doing. Titan was our wonderful companion for 26 years, and brought happiness to many people with his visits to schools, nursing homes, etc...

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I don't know about other ringnecks but Kiwi is no cuddler. She spends most of the day on top of her cage and sits on the edge to call me when she wants me to spend some time with her, she has that cute as can be peekaboo voice but also is the loudest bird I have ever had. She has Roudybush pellets, Higgins Saflower Gold seed, occasional almond. As far as fresh she gets a small amount of the chop I make for all 3 birds which varies between batches dandelion greens, rainbow chard multicolored peppers etc. She is given fruit every day. I try to offer super fruits like pomegranate, passion fruit when in season but papaya, mango, melons can always be found. Ringnecks are so sweet. They do need daily interaction to remain friendly.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
They do need daily interaction to remain friendly.
Very important point. IRNs need the interaction, even though they're not cuddly. They also will develop a "favored" person. Although Titan was friendly towards all, he absolutely loved my BIL, who lived with us. Titan would follow him around the house, like a 4 inch green shadow, and they'd sit for hours together...just hanging out...

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi didn't used to differentiate between me and my husband until recently. Usually when we pick her up we ask for a kiss on the cheek, that is no longer welcome from my husband. Kiwi is also one of the least bitey birds I have ever had but as they say...never say never, she really got him. He won't be asking again ; ). So I guess at least for now I am her one and only person.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Kiwi is also one of the least bitey birds I have ever had but as they say...never say never, she really got him.
Titan was very unusual...he never bit anyone his whole life..26 years...

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@cassiesdad Thank you for the info! I will try feeding him the veggies you mentioned. Yes he has a toy that he loves that he loves destroying a wood kebab or something like that he loves ripping it apart.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan liked shredding toys...and bells. :)

He had a set of large bells, and he'd hold onto the two chains holding the outer bells and put his head into the middle bell and sleep! I never knew how that could be comfortable, but he did it all the time...;)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Consider target training with Phoenix. It'll stimulate both physically and mentally...giving him a challenge in both ways...and it's a fun activity for you both...;)

Juzer

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Juzer
I had rescued a irn 2 months before The bird had fallen from his nest by the side of my house and was injured, and was surrounded by crows trying to finish him off. I saved him in just nick of time. I do not have any previous experience of keeping a pet parrot before but I had to save this baby, so I bought a cage and took care of him. In about 10 days he had recovered fine and became very active and lovable too. His mother comes every morning and evening near his cage even now. My question is if I let him out of the cage will he fly away? He is a very shy bird and never eats out of my hand or even cup when I am standing by his cage. But as soon as I turn he goes to his cup to eat the treat I leave for him.

My birb

Meeting neighbors
@Juzer never bring your bird outside unless it’s wings are clipped or it’s wearing a harness. Almost all birds will try too fly away no matter how much they like you. Getting hem back is hard and long process. I still don’t suggest bringing clipped birds outside either. My budgie had his wings clipped I bring him outside and the wind helped him go very far and it took hours for us too find him. Just keep good care of the bird and take precautionary meausurments so he doesn’t fly away