• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What size harness for a quaker?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I have been thinking about buying an aviator harness for the longest time but wasn't sure what size to get for Blu.

On the website it says

Petite
75 - 110 grams Lg. Parakeets, Small Indian Ringnecks, Cockatiels, Small Conures (Green cheek, Brown throat)

Xsmall
110- 190 grams Quakers, Senegal, Doves,Medium Parakeets (Indian Ringneck, Port Lincoln) Rainbow Lories, Rosellas, Noble Macaw, Lg. Conures (Suns, Jendays, Nanday, Blue Crown), Caiques, Plumb Head Parrot.

Blu is usually about 107 grams so he's on the far side of petite. Is petite the best size for him? The Xsmall description lists Quakers so I'm not sure?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I did the X-Small for Jingo and he is about 90g :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I did the X-Small for Jingo and he is about 90g :)
Cool, thanks!!

If you don't mind me asking, were you ever able to get him to wear it? I have a feeling I'll just be throwing money down the drain but it's worth a shot:dance5:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Baby Jingo in an Aviator:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cool, thanks!!

If you don't mind me asking, were you ever able to get him to wear it? I have a feeling I'll just be throwing money down the drain but it's worth a shot:dance5:

To be honest, he has worn it maybe 5 times. At this point in his life I don't know if I could get him to wear it or not. He's awfully bitey :lol:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hope you can get him to wear it! If you figure out any training tricks, please share:D

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
That is why I am a proponent of free flight training with excellent recall and desensitization.

If you work on indoor flight training and your bird has good recall then outside freeflying should not be a problem. It's important to have good ascending flights and descending flights well established indoors before going outside as its more difficult than just flying from point A to point B on a level flight. Also when your bird screws up inside and crashes, apart from seeing that he/she is okay you do not want to go to your bird you want the bird to come to you. The reason being is if your bird gets somewhere you can't reach it you don't want them being accustomed to you rescuing them but rather them learning and used to coming back to you. Then a harness really isn't necessary. It's probably more of a mental state for you thinking it is safer. But training is the safest for your bird without any potential dangers of getting hung up by the leash if there is a problem. Better to have your bird microchipped for that what if situation.

I personally am not a big fan of flight harnesses/suits. But here are some links to check out if you decide to use a harness or suit. Hope it helps.

Pros & Cons of flight harness

Indoor flight training basics

The next 3 are from the parrotwizzard. He's not my first choice but to might help you out if you want to desensitize your bird to the flight suit.

Flight harness desensitization day 1
Parrot Wizard Youtube Video Browser

Flight harness desensitization day 2

Flight harness desensitization day 3