• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Advice on Buying a Canary

babybluebird

Moving in
So, I would really like to have a canary and I have seen an advert on Gumtree for a 3 year old male Fife Fancy. The seller has another advert posted where he is selling some breeding cages so I am assuming that he is indeed a breeder. He is a beautiful looking bird BUT am I better buying a baby?? What issues may I encounter if I buy an older bird? I will obviously ask all the relevant questions including what environment he lives in now as I’m worried that if he has been in a large aviary with other birds and I bring him home to a cage he will be unhappy. What do you think????????

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know much about canaries, but both of my birds came to me as older birds, and they are great. I don't know about the aviary/cage issue though.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
I think a younger one would be better for you.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
So, I would really like to have a canary and I have seen an advert on Gumtree for a 3 year old male Fife Fancy. The seller has another advert posted where he is selling some breeding cages so I am assuming that he is indeed a breeder. He is a beautiful looking bird BUT am I better buying a baby?? What issues may I encounter if I buy an older bird? I will obviously ask all the relevant questions including what environment he lives in now as I’m worried that if he has been in a large aviary with other birds and I bring him home to a cage he will be unhappy. What do you think????????
I got my canary when he was a little over 1 year old (I thought he was already 2 at the time, but turns out he was still 1). When he got used to his new home and eating off my hand (inside the cage), I followed training advice I found online on how to 'tame' canaries. He's actually comfortable perching on people now, and would occasiaonally preen himself eveb when he's on my head.

However, he only perches on me when he wants too or when I play music. Otherwise he's not a huge fan of hands and being handled--which makes sense since that's his nature as a prey bird. I think this is as 'hand-tamed' as he can ever be (unlike the breeders on YT who would have their hand-fed canaries playing on their hands), but he's perfect and I'm just glad he's not as stressed around people anymore!

20180220_203728.png
The first time Peeps jumped onto my shoulder :)

I guess it all depends on if you want to be able to train/hand-tame your bird?

Reactions: Jas

babybluebird

Moving in
So.....I got a baby canary and he is amazing!!!! I say he but I don’t know the sex but he/she sings a lot so am assuming it’s a boy! I’m afraid to say that I bought wee Frank from a pet shop - I wanted to purchase from a breeder but as I don’t drive and they were all miles away I didn’t really have a choice.

When he came home he was absolutely fearless, started chomping the broccoli straight away which was brilliant as my other birds eat fresh fruit/greens daily but took a while to do so!

I’m not sure what variety he is but maybe someone could tell me???? 33054FD2-90B1-4F28-9B6E-753D1F05BDDE.jpeg

babybluebird

Moving in
He loves to jump on his swing and swing really fast but isn’t interested in toys, he’s got some shredding toys to nibble on.

He’s really tiny, very skinny when I got him but he’s looking chunkier now as you can see from the picture.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's very cute :xflove:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Susannah

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
I think he might be a Border Canary? Anyway, he is handsome.