• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New job means Dexter gets a big upgrade!

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I've finally gotten a job! That means Dexter is in for a big upgrade! For the past few months, he's been living it "rough". Homemade toys (from paper and cardboard) and an old cage which is falling apart. (Literally!) I'm devoting my first two months pay to upgrading his entire setup. He's gonna say goodbye to the old corner cage (42x50 I believe) and say hello to a walk in aviary! He's getting all-new toys, thinking of splurging and getting the $150 beakbox, though I need to check that it will be enough xD. I'm also stocking up on kabobs and toy parts, so I can keep it fresh for him. Besides the $400 rent I'll be paying, I have no fiscal responsibilities. For the next two months, it's all going to him. after that, of course, I'll begin saving and not spend it all on him. As long as my "I'm jinxed" superstition doesn't turn out to be real, he's getting a big life upgrade. I have his first (of many to come) annual checkup in the works.

Dont get me wrong! I've not been neglecting him. He gets 5-6+ hours a day out of his cage, plenty of (albeit not long lasting) toys, etc. But he deserves so much better. By the time I'm done, he'll be living like a prince!
The hardest part will be the wait.... I start on the fifth, and get my first paycheck two weeks after that. I won't be able to afford his aviary until the end of the next two months. I'll spend part of month one on the toys, perches, vet, etc, and save up the rest of it for the end of month two, where the aviary comes in!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
As long as your sure the new job is a stable lock and you both won't end up living in a van down by the river with him and his new cage and toys knock yourself out.
A few years ago I got a 50 gift card for my birthday so I bought Lurch a much larger nicer cage on sale with out breaking the bank. He loved it and now Dobby happily lives in it with bells and a chew toy to play with. It's easier to clean and change food and water dishes with feeder doors and has a playtop he likes.
It's really amazing what maybe a buck or two an hour extra can do for your standard of living and I hope it continues to go well and he enjoys his new house.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Congratulations on your new job!:dance4: I hope everything goes well, and I’m looking forward to pictures!

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
Congrats on the job!! You’ll never regret getting the indoor aviary. Best purchase for any of my parrots that I’ve made! :)
And good luck at the new job! :dance5:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congratulations to you And Dex!! That’s great news! You must share pictures once you have your new setup:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. on your new job!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:congrats5: on the new job! Im glad you dont have to worry about that anymore :)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann
Congrats on your new job.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
:fairy2:Congrats to you both! I hope you like the job and Dexter likes the new digs.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Congratulations! That's great news!!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Seems that the family is against an aviary... Anything bigger than what he has now is a no -go, which is upsetting. I'm still going to upgrade his cage, as his current one is practically falling apart, But not any bigger than it is now.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Nothing like a paycheck to brighten your world. It's nice you think of your bird first.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your new job!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Does anyone have any suggestions for aluminum cages?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kings cages have made aluminum cages for a long time. I had one for a grey and it was wonderful. Very light weight and sturdy.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Congratulations on the new job! It's always heartwarming to me when I hear stories like yours, of giving birds so much love and affection (in addition to possibly a new cage and toys!). Way to go!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Whoops mean stainless steel