• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Recommendations

ChipperChirper

Checking out the neighborhood
I am sure there are eyes being rolled at this question being asked; as I know that it gets asked time and time again.

Budgies prefer width rather than height, correct? I have been looking around on Amazon for a flight cage but have seen so many varying opinions and reviews on each cage. Would love to chat with you guys about what ones you all have experience with.

I need something big enough for a trio of feathered fluffs. I definitely want a flight cage as I do want it to be big enough for them to fly but I worry that some of the spaces on the big cages might be too wide? 1/2 an inch is what I have read for budgies. I'm used to Cockatiels-- this is my first time having budgies and they just seem so tiny and breakable. Trying to make sure I do them right.

Roseicollis

Meeting neighbors
The Critter Nation is honestly what I would go for if I was looking to get budgies. Even though it’s technically supposed to be for rodents and the like, it seems like a solid cage.

The front doors take up an entire side (awesome for cleaning!) and the dimensions are way better than the ones you find in bird cages designed for the tiny fids. The only thing I think might be an issue is how low it is to the ground. Best of luck!

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Flight cages are super popular and I think generally considered pretty good options. Buy one from a reputable place with good customer service would be my recommendation. @webchirp also recently got a great cage... I think the large "Elegant" flight cage and posted a great review: AE larger elegant flight | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The biggest cage I know of with 1/2" bar spacing that's also a fantastic option is this one: https://naturalinspirationsparrotcages.com/products/littles-dome-45-x-30

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The Critter Nation is honestly what I would go for if I was looking to get budgies. Even though it’s technically supposed to be for rodents and the like, it seems like a solid cage.

The front doors take up an entire side (awesome for cleaning!) and the dimensions are way better than the ones you find in bird cages designed for the tiny fids. The only thing I think might be an issue is how low it is to the ground. Best of luck!

I actually just bought a double critter nation to prep for some new rat friends and I almost agree! My only issue with using it as a bird cage is that you have no feeding doors which I require for my birds who are cage aggressive and occasionally need to be watched by other people.

My favorite flight is the Avian Adventures Loro Flight cage. the weird triangle thing is removable :lol:

https://www.petsupplies.com/item/av...ice^c-plaid^401470305759-sku^52393-adType^PLA

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your on the right track. Look on Petco.com and E Bay. Got mine on EB

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
First of all, don't worry if a cage is taller than it is wide. Most places make taller cages because they look better, and a taller cage doesn't hurt at all. It's just that birds don't appreciate extra height as much as the width since they fly from side to side more than up or down.
Are your budgies tame and do they come out regularly? For 3 tame budgie, something like an HQ or AE single flight cage (32x21) or the large Prevue flight cage (30x18) are good sizes. If they don't get out much or you have the room, a larger one would be better, like a double version of the HQ flight or the x-large prevue flight.