• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

GCC Suddenly Start Biting

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@JLcribber So, white noises does help them to relax, right? or at least be a little quieter. I turn on some white noises for her sometimes, and I do think it helps with the screaming.

The jungle is never silent. If it goes quiet, that's because animals are on alert because a predator or danger has been sighted. So white noise or a radio helps provide something besides silence which helps put them more at ease.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@ode.to.parrots I'll be waiting for your video. Thank you.

I guess it's gonna be awhile for her to bathe again. I mean, she can't do it in the cage, can she?

why not? Out of the 4 birds I've had, only 1 refuses to bathe in his cage.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
I agree with Cary. If she doesn't wan to come out, then don't force her out.

You can work on target training through the cage bars, then through the door, and then eventually around the outside of the cage or you can see if she'll come out on her own. Target training would also work great in getting her back in.

Gizmo has not had a good experience with hands around her cage, so we want to try and change that so she's willing to come out and about without biting.

You can offer her ways to bathe while she's in her cage, but if she doesn't take one, that's okay too.
@Monica She's starting to take treats from me these days, and follow the treats around the cage. There's also time when she literally just gives me her back, and I learned that now. I just realized that it's her way of saying "leave me alone!" Because when she bit me before, she did give me that sign, but I was the one who ignored it. :facepalm:

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors

why not? Out of the 4 birds I've had, only 1 refuses to bathe in his cage.
@Mizzely Oh really? How should I do that? That would help her a lot, especially with her molting. Should I get a bowl of water and leave it at the base of the cage? I wonder if she would try it. I'll try when I get home today.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
@Mizzely Oh really? How should I do that? That would help her a lot, especially with her molting. Should I get a bowl of water and leave it at the base of the cage? I wonder if she would try it. I'll try when I get home today.

Mine just bathe in their water dishes lol. One likes pie plates

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Once you start understanding their body language and learning to communicate with them in a way that works for *both* of you, you really can avoid many bites and learn to have a better relationship!

And yes, they can bathe in their cages! Even if they don't have a bathe large enough to fit them, if they are in the mood, they'll figure it out! (imagine a bird trying to "bathe" from the spout of a water bottle that hangs on the side of the cage or one that has a little spout that goes through the cage bars! ;) :rofl: )

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Here's the video I was telling you about. Sorry it took me so long! Today was busier than I had anticipated!
The main thing I want to show you here is how the perch on the door can be useful for allowing your bird to comfortably come out of the cage on his own.

I also recommend Barbara Heindenreich's videos - she is one of the best in the field, and I always recommend that people check out her videos. Her webinar on rescue birds is free, so that would be a great place to start!
Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media

I know that you mentioned Gizmo was screaming a bit too... What sort of cage setup do you have? How big is your cage? If Gizmo is still screaming after you start using white noise or a radio, you may want to evaluate your setup.

I hope this helps!!! Please keep sending questions our way. We are happy to help. :)

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
Mine just bathe in their water dishes lol. One likes pie plates
I've never seen her bathe in her water bowl. I'm actually trying to let her bathe in one of the plastic box we have, but she definitely needs time to adjust to that box first. Also, she voluntarily gets out of the cage today. Well, I kinda use treats this morning, but now, she just walks out by herself.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
Once you start understanding their body language and learning to communicate with them in a way that works for *both* of you, you really can avoid many bites and learn to have a better relationship!

And yes, they can bathe in their cages! Even if they don't have a bathe large enough to fit them, if they are in the mood, they'll figure it out! (imagine a bird trying to "bathe" from the spout of a water bottle that hangs on the side of the cage or one that has a little spout that goes through the cage bars! ;) :rofl: )
That would be kinda uncomfortable. It would look so awkward. Anyway, she's out of the cage today. She walks out by herself, but i put a perch on the door, so that when I open the door, she can perch there if she feels like it, and she did! One thing leads to another, she eventually perches on the door itself.

Gizmo The GCC

Meeting neighbors
Here's the video I was telling you about. Sorry it took me so long! Today was busier than I had anticipated!
The main thing I want to show you here is how the perch on the door can be useful for allowing your bird to comfortably come out of the cage on his own.

I also recommend Barbara Heindenreich's videos - she is one of the best in the field, and I always recommend that people check out her videos. Her webinar on rescue birds is free, so that would be a great place to start!
Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media

I know that you mentioned Gizmo was screaming a bit too... What sort of cage setup do you have? How big is your cage? If Gizmo is still screaming after you start using white noise or a radio, you may want to evaluate your setup.

I hope this helps!!! Please keep sending questions our way. We are happy to help. :)
She's better now. I think. She doesn't scream as much with the white noise, so I think that helps a lot. Anyway, I added another perch on the door yesterday, and she just walks out of the cage today.
I used a treat the first time, but she walked out of the cage by herself just now. I was like... okay.... She's definitely more comfortable with me these days. It's to the point where she literally jumps to the cage when I'm near. Not all of the time, but sometimes and it startles me like crazy. :scared4:
Wonder if there's anything I can do to stop that behavior.