• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Molt (?)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hello again guys!

I just wanted to ask a question about molting, and the signs that you have witnessed personally as canary owners. As some of you may have read in my previous thread, my canary Peeps was showing some strange behaviors, but they were a bit difficult to read since they coincided with an off-season molt.

However...
I've never seen him go through a molt before, so I'm not entirely sure what to look out for. To clarify, I have looked up molting symptoms online, but I don't really have another point of reference.

It started around November (around Thanksgiving), and Peeps' feathers have been dropping since then. His feather-loss has accelerated recently from 1 or 2 feathers lying around the bottom of his cage, to 4 or 5 inside and outside his cage. I would often see feathers falling off of him whilst standing or as he is flying away. The skin on his legs and the bottom and edges of his wings are more visible now :/

What isn't matching up, however, is that he's still singing and flying, so I began to worry that he might not be molting.
Thankfully, we started seeing a couple of pin feathers coming out of his wing area (about 2-3) so perhaps he really is molting?

Though what's keeping me nervous are the little things he's starting to show... He's still pretty active, but I noticed he seems to be hopping about with more caution (especially today)--he's not slow and clumsy though.
What caught my attention, however, was whenever he tried to stretch out his wings. Normally, he would stretch them out completely with one leg without any problem, but now he would appear to be losing balance and would lower his leg before he can completely stretch his wing out. Is this normal? Could he be tired due to his new feathers growing out???

I haven't been able to catch that particular occurrence on video, but I do have his most recent observations (Jan 7) in an unlisted playlist on Youtube:

Peeps Molt (?) - YouTube

I guess my questions are:

1. Do pin feathers mean he's actually molting and indeed recovering?

2. Was the behavior I mentioned normal--as in have you guys seen that when your canaries molted in the past? Could it be fatigue?

3. Also, what are other things I should expect from a first molt? Can you tell me about what you witnessed personally?

4. Lastly (for now), when do pin feathers generally begin to show up, and how long does that stage last?

We'll be going to the vet in 2 days again, for his 2nd treatment of Ivermectin (as mentioned in previous thread), and I wi defintely be asking asking them if they notice anything odd too.
I also really want to get your guy's input, since I don't really know anyone else in my area who has one. Please help!

Also, thank you so much for taking the time to read and watching!

20180105_161032.jpg Peeps Jan 5, 2018
20180105_163509.jpg 20180105_163739.jpg
Jan 5

20180107_132240.jpg
Jan 7, 2018
20180107_132252.jpg
Jan 7 :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I can’t reallly tell from the video whether he is molting, but that is to be expected. Molt does not mean a lot of feathers are gone, or that they cannot fly. Molt is a slow process where they drop feathers, as you have observed, and the others come in.

It sounds as if he is molting. This should not affect his balance. It does affect their attitude, mine are quite cranky when molting! It can make them seem more tired than usual.

The pin feathers will begin coming in soon after the feather is lost, but you may not notice for 3-4 days. Be sure to offer a bath daily, as it will help the feather sheaths to soften. If he won’t take a bath you can use a spray bottle and spray water above him where it can ‘rain’ on him.

Molt can easily last up to 12 weeks. Here is a great article on molt.

Your bird still seems very itchy so I’m glad the vet is going to treat him. Can you order Avian Insect Liquidator and keep it on hand? You spray 4-5 shots of it over your bird and it prevents mites. Also spray it in the cage. This must be repeated in 6 weeks.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
@finchly Hello!! Thank you for replying as always! I apologize for disappearing but we had moved to a new city and started uni again. Peeps went through a lot too, at some point during our second visit to the vet, his middle claw got snagged to the towel a vet tech put him in and it got yanked out! But the little guy recovered from the injury and the move, and he is now well. He was going through a molt after all, but his over all appearance has improved since my last post. Although he's dropping some feathers here and there, the patches he had earlier are pretty much gone! At some point he lost all of his tail feathers, but they're back now. It's amazing to see them grow back!

The molt has moved up to his head now. Poor guy has a bunch of pin feathers exploding at the top of his head, but other than that, he appears to be well and is warming up to his new place.
20180205_143948.jpg feb 5
20180206_165945.jpg Snapchat-1288367083.jpg feb 6
20180209_160848.jpg feb 9
Snapchat-651046260.jpg feb 14. I cleaned everything in my room including the ceiling fan--which is never on whenever he is out***
20180216_083511.jpg feb 16
20180219_152533.jpg feb 19

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi! He is so pretty. He will be even more beautiful after the molt is over. Does he take baths? That will help get those feather sheaths off.

Haha. I love the perch sticking out from the bookcase. :D I need to make a video of my canaries flying around. For some reason I now have 3 of them in the cockatiel cage, and they come out whenever the tiels are out each day. They are very cute.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Hi! He is so pretty. He will be even more beautiful after the molt is over. Does he take baths? That will help get those feather sheaths off.

Haha. I love the perch sticking out from the bookcase. :D I need to make a video of my canaries flying around. For some reason I now have 3 of them in the cockatiel cage, and they come out whenever the tiels are out each day. They are very cute.
He is, thank you very much! :D So proud of my little trooper lol
And yes he does almost everyday actually. I put his bath in the mornings, and if he wants to shower he jumps in instantly. Otherwise I wait 15-20 minutes, and try again in the afternoon. He used to bathe every day since his molt accelerated, but he's been taking them every other day now. Though he stays in the water much longer than his usual 2-3 dips, so he's a lot more thorough than before lol

I completely clean his cage and toys when he goes out to dry lol

He LOVES those perches.. and the books too! He spends a lot of his time out at the bookcase, so I added a seed cup for him to snack on the middle shelf lol

I would love to see your canaries!!! And you have cockatiels too!?!?! That's awesome!!! Do you happen to have videos of them on YT? I'd love to see them too!!!! AAAAAA!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No videos on YT, but I can get some. :)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Also, update on Peeps:

All photos were taken after taking a bath*
20180226_142355.jpg Jan 14 20180226_142344.jpg Feb 11 20180226_142330.jpg Today, Feb 26

His body feathers have been looking a lot fuller, and it's mainly his head and neck where he is molting. He has a bunch of pin feathers on his 'forehead' but I've noticed their casings are starting to crumble away.

He hasn't been bathing daily like he used to, but I still provide the bath before I let him out for his daily excercise/cage cleaning. When he does decide to bathe, he takes his time flapping his wings in the water lol

The middle claw that was accidentally ripped off of his left toe (from our last visit from the vet) has been SLOWLY growing. I'm worried it might never grow back comepletely, will that be a problem?

Otherwise, he's seems to be healthy and active *KNOCKS ON WOOD*, and he likes to fly and hop about my new room everyday. He would always jump on the perch by the exit door of his cage whenever I walk into my room!

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I see he has found his favorite perch!

The nail that came off may not grow back,that’s okay.lots of birds do fine without a nail.

He looks great! Good job!