• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sick with the flu, need quick ways to entertain birds

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I've been sick with the flu for about a week (I'm going to the doctor tomorrow) and as a result I haven't been able to spend much time with the boys. They still spend most of the day out of the cage in the bird proofed room but I need some ideas for the quick toys, games or foraging activities that will keep them busy for a while to ensure they are engaged

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How about plain paper? I think they like to shred it.
Hope you get better soon. It is good that you are going to the doctor.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I gather up all of Luv Bug's beads and toy parts in a low, wide (so it doesn't tip easily) tupperware and she grabs pieces out to play with until it's empty. Then I do have to crawl around and pick them all up again, but it only takes 2 minutes if gathering to give me 30, maybe 45 minutes of peace. A few dry treats among the toys is fun, too.
0218182121.jpg

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Do they like to forage? If I’m not feeling well I wrap food in several layars of paper, and let them forage for those by putting them in random spots. It takes them a considerable amount of time to chew through the real thick ones.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Also, if they like baths, ours are always really mellow afterwards until they're dry and finished preening. Happy bathing beauties and happy peace and quiet time = double bonus.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I also drill holes in branches and/or those ICE Cream sticks(?forgot their name lol!), string them on a rope with a few beads and there you go, its finished. Also my Guys can entertain themselves really well with cups or baskets filled with beads/toy parts(sometimes hay), or a plate with pebbles. Those are one of their favorite things, sprinkle a few seeds and/or pellets over them and they are very happy.
My boys also adore plants, if you have long safe grass growing in your vackyard, you could give Some to them.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I also drill holes in branches and/or those ICE Cream sticks(?forgot their name lol!), string them on a rope with a few beads and there you go, its finished. Also my Guys can entertain themselves really well with cups or baskets filled with beads/toy parts(sometimes hay), or a plate with pebbles. Those are one of their favorite things, sprinkle a few seeds and/or pellets over them and they are very happy.
My boys also adore plants, if you have long safe grass growing in your vackyard, you could give Some to them.

We call them popsicle sticks. :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Please take care of yourself. This flu strain is seriously awful.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, I hope you feel better soon too! :) Lots of colds and flu going around here too!

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I've been sick with the flu for about a week (I'm going to the doctor tomorrow) and as a result I haven't been able to spend much time with the boys. They still spend most of the day out of the cage in the bird proofed room but I need some ideas for the quick toys, games or foraging activities that will keep them busy for a while to ensure they are engaged
Hope you are feeling better today, and/or the doctor is helping :fairy: If you are going through too many tissue boxes, how about throwing some toys/treats in them and letting the birds have a go at foraging and destruction?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
paper lunch bags with a toy in them or food treat.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Unfortunately I haven't been getting better, I've only been getting worse. I went to the hospital on Sunday and I don't have the flu at all, there is something wrong with my colon turns out. So I'm on antibiotics now and they make me super tired. As a result the boys haven't been able to come out of their cages much because I need to rest.
So I've tried a few things for enrichment for them. I've hung leaves of romaine lettuce from the ceiling and secured them with clothes pins plus I found those small rolls of paper I bought for Kamara when she was alive and I attached those to the sides of their cages with zip ties. Currently they're wary of the new rolls of paper but Sawyer is quite curious about it. I hope they enjoy them.
IMG_3309.JPG

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Yikes!

Take care of you.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Sawyer is enjoying his roll of paper, he's torn at it a bit. Charlie hasn't touched his yet.

I feed their vegetables cut into larger chunks (they seem to like that better than chop size) this has accidentally created a foraging opportunity where they have to sift through the chunks to find the best pieces. Usually that keeps them busy for like an hour

Attachments

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Get well soon!
If you can find raw honey it will help you get well sooner.