• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Red Rumped Parrot?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
there aren't many active users with grass parakeets that I recall!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
O I am sorry, I thought they were red bellies, but those are an entirely different species! From my knowledge red rumps are not generally kept inside. From what I have heard they are a bit like kakarikis, a bit more laid back. But that is what I have heard(and read), I have never interacted with a red rump.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@Cyphin
Any one own a Red Rumped Parrot? I've been researching various birds, and should love to hear some testimonies about owning one as a pet. Thanks!
I love my Red Rumped Parakeets
I have a pair of mutations , generally Red Rumped Parakeets prefer to be in pairs.
They can be aggressive with other species of birds ,best to house them separately. They are larger than a budgie. They have a melodious soft song. Very pleasing and relaxing . There are many mutations available ,although they can be hard to find. Here's a picture of my pair , the males are the brightly coloured, females are muted, somewhat drab in color. Chipper my male is in the background.
He's a Opaline Mutation.
Pearl in the Foreground is a a Blue Mutation . If you have any more questions about these Beautiful Grass Parakeets , let me know :)
20171214_115513.jpg

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
O I am sorry, I thought they were red bellies, but those are an entirely different species! From my knowledge red rumps are not generally kept inside. From what I have heard they are a bit like kakarikis, a bit more laid back. But that is what I have heard(and read), I have never interacted with a red rump.
I keep mine inside, actually they don't make good aviary birds, they can become territorial especially during breeding season , breeders generally are housed separately ,because of this many Avicultrist find that to be problematic, hence in the pet bird trade you don't come across as many Red Rumped Grass Parakeet as the Bourke Grasskeets, The Rosie Bourke Grasskeets is compatible in a mixed aviary.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Except in Florida. There are a zillion down here. Not any as pretty as yours though!

So is the scarlet chested. Both are beautiful.
Yep many sub-species of Australian Grass Parakeets . Here in California there just beginning to become noticed . Even the Bourkes are rather scarce.
Thanks for the compliment. Besides breeding & genetics , being a conscientious breeder, of Gouldian Finches, that you are ,and take pride in. I think diet rich in flavonoids also plays a role in vibrant colors and tight beautiful feather structure. Environment is also a key factor.

Last edited:

Birdlover999

Meeting neighbors
Hey, I just recently got a 7-8 week old red rump parakeet. He is already the sweetest thing and is so curious and cute!!! I never heard of them until a local breeder started selling them, he keeps his inside and they are all such sweethearts!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Hey, I just recently got a 7-8 week old red rump parakeet. He is already the sweetest thing and is so curious and cute!!! I never heard of them until a local breeder started selling them, he keeps his inside and they are all such sweethearts!
They sure are sweethearts .Don't they have a lovely song , so melodious and soothing. Is he a Mutation or the Normal ? What is his name. He'll get more beautiful as he molts out his baby feathers . His adult colors will be more vibrant and intense. I really enjoy my pair. :)

Last edited:

Birdlover999

Meeting neighbors
They sure are sweethearts .Don't they have a lovely song , so melodious and soothing. Is he a Mutation or the Normal ? What is his name. He'll get more beautiful as he molts out his baby feathers . His adult colors will be more vibrant and intense. I really enjoy my pair. :)
Yes I love the sound he makes it’s so cute and charming! When I picked him up the breeder showed me his brother from the previous clutch that was the same mutation and he was so beautiful!! Anyways this is him ( his beak was dirty cause he was just eating some sprouts ) I haven’t decided on a name yet but I am thinking about naming him Blue I think it fits him
35801CBE-90E3-4C02-8AA8-F5EC6097C6D9.jpeg 3EF79F56-9C64-4F77-AB13-C92F71EA5320.jpeg

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Anyways this is him ( his beak was dirty cause he was just eating some sprouts ) I haven’t decided on a name yet but I am thinking about naming him Blue I think it fits him
He's beautiful, I'm thinking he's a Blue Mutation? Just wait till he gets his adult feathers ! The colors just pop! Keep us posted on his progress,.
Welcome to the Forum! :fairy:

Birdlover999

Meeting neighbors
He's beautiful, I'm thinking he's a Blue Mutation? Just wait till he gets his adult feathers ! The colors just pop! Keep us posted on his progress,.
Welcome to the Forum! :fairy:
Thank you! Your two red rumps are so stunning! Yes I am pretty sure he is the blue mutation. I will keep you guys posted as he grows!

LWK

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I had a male red rump for 2 years. He was hand raised and gorgeous but became a Velcro bird. That melodious chirping would turn into screaming if I left the room. The screaming would start again when he heard my footsteps coming in from the garage. Of course I ignored this for weeks, tried to go in when he was quiet, covered the cage but nothing worked. Then he became very aggressive. Would lunge and attack my hand if I tried to get him out. This was my hand tame adorable baby! I realized at this point that these birds really do become aggressive. I had to rehome him after a year of aggression.