• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can you teach an old bird new tricks or words?

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
Hi everyone
I have a cockatoo named Anna that I think is about 30 years old. She was living in a zoo for a long time, but was originally owned by a vet. She can speak a few words..says hello, calls her name, and says I love you.
My question is can she still learn new words at her age?
Thanks

Attachments

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes I think so.

I have two old Amazons and they have learned to turn on command and Secret can wave (hold up the foot).

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know if this counts, but Wasabi, that guy in the pic, says part of his new first name attached to his old name, Congo, to form the word, WaCongo. I think he learned to say, what’s up? from us, but we can’t prove it. We’re his -at least- 2nd family.

He’s about 28 yrs old.

Barcann

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Barbara
encouraging replies, thank you. I will keep working with Anna. I will say that our granddaughter was visiting with us for several weeks and she brought her Chihuahua and I did hear Anna barking like a Chihuahua so I guess she can pick up new sounds, now that I think about it.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Of course they can! Parrots are super smart, they learn every day. I taught a cockatiel who was pretty old and abused, to step up, fly to me, like people, eat veggies, play, to spread his wings, to give a Kiss, turn around and so on. Maybe not words or standard tricks, but it is learning either way.
Not sure how old @cassiesdad Milton is, but he is a super smart U2, and still learned new concepts and things. You should check out his threads, Milton is really amazing!

And thank you for giving this lovely bird a home!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just depends how old you are. You're only an old bird if you think you are. I'm an old bird but I have the mind of spring chicken. :D

Talk her head off and she'll learn.

Last edited:

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
My Grey Bird is in his 20s, and he learns new words and noises here and there. I don't try to teach him, he just picks them up. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Not sure how old @cassiesdad Milton is, but he is a super smart U2, and still learned new concepts and things.
Milton is 21 years old. He picks up things from just his observations...I don't really try to teach him anything.

Like @JLcribber said, talk to her...and keep talking to her!:)

Sand

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sand
Yes he can learn. ESPECIALLY if it is to his advantage! Example, say he likes apple, everrrryyy time you cut it in front or him and give it to him say "want some apple?" Run the back of your index finger over the apple and say "apple" Repeat many times. My birds even say"want some" for whatever I'm eating cuz they know it means I'll give it to them. Or when u take him out say " wanna come out?" Repeatedly before u even open the cage. When i name things, i run the back of my index finger along the object, like I ran my finger across my cheek and said Mama about a thousand times and I ran my finger across my husband's cheek and said his name, my bird actually repeated his name right away and now if I run my finger on husband's cheek and say who's this ,my bird will say Kevin. For some reason he was unable to say daddy so we just use my husband's name. anyway I talk to my birds like they are children learning language even at 30 years old any bird who can say even two words can learn more .I wish you luck God bless you for saving an unhomed bird. Ps, even my budgie pair(small parakeets) started talking once they had been in the spare room without us for a while. We were cleaning painting doing stuff in our room, which is where they always are, and we have one of those huge bedroom suites so we watch TV and eat dinner in there etc. I put them in the spare room for a few weeks and other than a TV they did not see much of us. The day I picked up their cage to move them back into our room, one of them said to me clear as day "I love you " I had heard them say "food" & "water" and THATS IT, for YEARS! I think he figured he better step up his game so I would not put them in the spare room again LOL !

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been trying to teach my Blue Crown more words. He says HI! and he makes kissing noises. We're his second owners and as far as I can tell, the previous owners did little more than feed him the last year he was with them. I call him by name all the time and he's slowly starting to repeat it back to me. His name is Wasabi and I've started to get a WaWahWe in return. It's progress, but at the moment he's pretty mad at me because I took him to the vet, and put him on a diet.